What's new

TV audio problem when playing through home theater speakers. PLEASE HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

strikers041

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
Hi everyone,
Here is my connection: My standard Directv receiver is connected to my Panasonic TC-P50X1 plasma HDTV via RED/WHITE/YELLOW jacks. My Samsung home theater system HT-TZ512 is connected to my TV via HDMI cable. Then I got the RCA cable (RED/WHITE jacks) connected from the Directv receiver to the home theater system so I can play TV sound through the home theater speakers. I can play TV sound through my home theater speakers BUT It works on and off. It plays TV sound through the speakers for a minute or so then it quits. A short while, it came back and gone again without me touch anything. I have also tried the optical cable from the TV to the Home theater system but it does the same thing, the sound drops. Now, if I take out the HDMI cable and replace it with just a video cable (yellow jack), then the TV sound works great without dropping through the home theater speakers. If I use the HDMI cable then the TV sound is on and off very often. But I want the HDMI connection as it gives better picture (I have tried two different HDMI cables and they acted the same thing). Panasonic technician said that he will try to replace the A BOARD in the TV and I have no idea what it is and really do not want him to mess with it. I have also exchanged my Samsung home theater with another one as I assumed it may be defective but the new one does the same thing. I am so sick of it that I want to break everything now. I can not return the TV as it has been more than 14 days (return policy). What could be the problem? What other home theater in a box that works with this TV? Thanks in advance!

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Not sure what the problem is at this point, but why do you have an HDMI cable from your TV to your surround system?

Also, what inputs/outputs does your D* receiver have?
What inputs/outputs does your surround receiver have?

Without the answers to those questions, just hook up your D* receiver to the TV via red/white/yellow and then connect it to the surround receiver via optical. Those should be the only connections you need.

PS. Why don't you have an HD D* receiver?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The optical cable connection on your TV should only be used when you have your TV connected to an antenna and are using the TV's ATSC tuner or when you have your TV connected to digital cable and using the TV's QAM tuner. There is only one model TV on the market that uses it's digital output as a pass-through.

The rest of your post is all over the place. You have to break your problems down. Watching DirecTV, you have a direct connection between the receiver and TV using composite video/analog audio. Do your get consistent sound from your TV speakers? Then you have analog audio connected between your D* receiver and your Samsung. That's where you have sound drop issues. Make sure there are no other connections between the Samsung and the TV. Does everything work?

The HDMI connection between the Samsung and the TV is for watching DVD's on your Samsung. Does that work correctly when there is no DirecTV receiver connected?

Give us a better idea of how things are connected. DirecTV is connected to Video 1 of the TV. That kind of thing.

-Robert

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Why don't you have your Direct TV cable box HDMI out connected to your receiver HDMI input with with HDMI cable? Your Receiver HDMI out from connected to your HDMI input on your TV with HDMI cable. That is the way I think most would recommend as the best way to set up a Cable box, Receiver and TV.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The statement above leads me and Kevin to assume the OP has a standard def D* receiver.

-Robert

strikers041

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam

I have a direct connection between the standard directv receiver and the TV using composite video/analog audio. I get consistent sound from the TV speakers without any sound drop whatsoever. The HDMI connection between the Samsung and the TV for watching DVD's on your Samsung works perfectly without any sound drop even with the present of the DirecTV receiver connected.

I want to play TV audio through my home theater speakers. So I connected the TV and the Samsung HTS with the optical cable. That's when the TV audio sound comes on and off through the home theater speakers. I took out the optical cable. Intead, I use the RCA cable (red/white jacks) to connect from the directv receiver directly to the Samsung HTS. With this, the TV audio sound also comes on and off through the home theater speakers. The TV audio sound through home theater speakers drop issue only occurs if I use the HDMI cable to connect the Samsung HTS to the TV. As long as I replace the HDMI cable with a yellow video jack cable, the TV audio sound works through the home theater speakers fine. I prefer HDMI connection as it gives a better picture and that's what it is there for.

My standard Directv receiver is connected to my Panasonic TC-P50X1 plasma HDTV via RED/WHITE/YELLOW jacks. My Samsung home theater system HT-TZ512 is connected to my TV via HDMI cable. Then I got the RCA cable (RED/WHITE jacks) connected from the Directv receiver to the home theater.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I would suspect that it may have something to do with the HDAVI control, a control protocol over HDMI, an incompatibility between the Panasonic & Samsung. Look up the "Viera link" settings on your TV. I'd first turn it completely off & see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you can experiment to see what setting causes the problem, maybe turn it on but change the "default speakers" to be "theater" rather than TV.

If that still doesn't work, then consider getting a different system entirely. Most of us here aren't fans of HTiB combo DVD/receiver solutions, as they lack future expandibility when you add later sources, plus the speakers tend to be compromised to favor small size instead of best sound quality. But if you are constrained by cost to the HTiB combos, maybe a Panasonic system is less likely to conflict with your TV.

strikers041

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam

I think you are probably right. It must have something to do with HDMI thing. I turned off the Viera link but did not get any luck either. The Samsung looks nice, plays and sounds great for DVD movie but it give me a headache when I use its speakers for TV audio sound. I paid only $340 for it. Can anyone recommend any HTIB around $400 or less that WORKS with Panasonic TV?
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I really appreciate it.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sam.

* if you're always using the satellite box for watching TV programs, don't worry about connecting the TV's audio output to the Samsung HTiB.

You can use a box's analog outputs for sound via the Samsung HTiB if you want, but to hear a movie's Dolby Digital surround soundtrack - if the box is equipped to handle that type of signal AND the movie/TV program includes a Dolby Digital soundtrack - you will have to use the box's digital output. The analog connections can provide a surround effect (though it will not be a good as with Dolby Digital), but only if the movie or TV show you're watching is encoded with Dolby Surround so the HTiB's Dolby Pro-Logic decoder system has something to work with.

* a composite video connection provides the lowest quality video signal; everything else - S-video, component and HDMI - provides a MUCH better signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks