TV as Computer Monitor in HT System?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_B, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Robert_B

Robert_B Auditioning

I am building a Home Theater system and I would like to have a Macintosh computer in the rack. I plan to use an iMac in rack form which only consumes one rack unit. Now, the two top TVs in consideration are the Loewe (38" 16:9 DirectView) and the new Pioneer Elite (58" 16:9 RPTV). Both units have a VGA style port... only the Loewe calls their port a VGA port.
    My questions:
    - Have you ever had your PC connected to your TV with good results?
    -Did you simply use the TV as a computer monitor? If not, how did you use it???
    - Is the VGA port a digital port? I would expect that using the VGA input would be the ONLY way to get a good high-quality image.
    - How did you deal with over-scan issues? That is, the TV would have a natural tendency to block about 4% of the image along the edges.
    I appreciate any feedback you may have from your personal experiences.
    Thanks,
    -Robert

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Regular 640 x 480 VGA, incidentally is an analog RGB signal, with the same scan rate as 480p component video.
    Check the specs of the TV to see if it also takes a higher resolution Mac format (probably not the same as 1024 x 768 XGA) if you prefer a higher resolution. Also I am not sure whether all Macs output VGA as one of their video choices.
    Also it is a good idea to see the TV in the store displaying computer video before buying (bring a laptop?). Be sure to set the computer to a refresh rate, usually 60 Hz required, as well as a resolution the TV accepts. Even though the TV accepts VGA, the picture might not be as sharp as a computer monitor due to dot pitch or circuitry limitations. In the store you can also adjust the overscan to see how much range you have and whether the computer picture is centered properly.
    More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 11, 2001 at 07:16 AM]

3. Robert_B

Robert_B Auditioning

Hey! Thanks for your reply.
    I did not know that the VGA signal was analog. Also, I did not know that the TVs (like the Loewe and the Elite RPTV) would allow overscan adjustment.
    Note: although all recent Macs have a VGA style connector the video resolution or pixel dimensions can be 1024 X 768 or much larger...
    Thanks,
    Robert