TV angle size ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PeterK, Aug 14, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

what is the ideal angle that should be formed between you and the edges of your TV?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

In my opinion, this varies very heavily on the quality of the display. Sitting too close to a poor display is not a good idea. You really need good quality to be able to sit at a good 'cinematic' viewing ratio. I like to be able to sit at about 1.3 screen widths or closer, which unfortunately is reaching the limitations of DVD resolution, and is too close for any digital projector except the Qualia. On my CRT it is acceptable to sit quite close as long as the DVD quality is excellent, or I am running hi-def then I can sit REALLY close and still be happy. So it varies, because often the 'ideal' is not achievable on most displays. I would rather sit the ideal distance for *that* particular display to achieve the best picture, than attempting to achieve a *cinematic* viewing ratio based more on film, and then suffering the consequences of a display that doesn't reach that resolution and smoothness and it looking like crap just really big instead.

3. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    From what i read, HDTV is optimal at 30 degrees.

4. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

There really is no ideal viewing distance. I sit 11 ft back from an 8 ft wide screen using a Panasonic 700 and find the picture quality to be excellent. Thats 1.375 x the screen width. There are peekaboo scanlines and motion artifacts the odd time, but nothing bad enough to make me want to move back farther.