TV and Non-shielded speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChipD, Mar 1, 2004.

1. ChipD

ChipD Extra

Due to my current home theater arrangement, I have set my speakers fairly close to my TV. I have B&W 603 s3 front speakers that are not magnetically shielded. At best, I can get the speakers far enough away to only cause a little bit of interference (the top corners turn green and red right along the edge). I can only see this disturbance if the screen is all white or all blue. It really doesn't bother me - I hardly notice.

My question: Will having the speakers this close cause damage to my TV? How about over a period of several years? Since I can't notice the interference on a normal basis, I would prefer to keep my speakers where they are. However, I don't want to ruin my TV? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Yes, I have heard from several sources that prolonged exposure to a magnetic field will ruin a CRT monitor. Whether it is beyond repair depends on the severity of the symptoms. An occasional degaussing may aleiviate the effects.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You may not be "bothered" by the chroma distortions except when the screen is displaying white images, but it is always there. Further, magnetically induced chroma distortion is cumulative in effect and causes permanent damage. I ruined two perfectly good Sony TVs in decades past because of placing unshielded high-fidelity speakers too close to them. No amount of degaussing worked. The purple and green color splotches in the upper left and right corners were permanent.

Come up with something. You must remove those speakers from their present location immediately.

4. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I had my LCR600 Center on top of my brand new CRT, watched Ice Age (most of it) and in that time it damaged the left and right sides of the screen (corners) so that I returned the TV the next morning and got a new one. Was a pain...I had to end up building a TV stand for the TV and put the speaker beneath the new TV since the main board in the TV provided enough shielding.