Turtle story?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Neil J, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Neil J

Neil J Stunt Coordinator

What movie is this from:
    William James was giving a public lecture on astronomy, describing how the earth spins around itself as it orbits the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. He was in full flight when a little old lady interrupted from the back of the auditorium. "Young man, excuse me, but you’ve got it wrong. The world rests on the back of a giant turtle." William James was slightly taken aback, but ready for a discussion. He asked, "If that is true, madam, what is the turtle standing on?" "Another turtle," she shot back. Gently, now, "And what is that turtle standing on?" "Don’t get smart with me, young man. It’s turtles all the way down."

I think I just watched this movie, but I don't remember what it is?

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

It's an old myth. You'll find it referenced in Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld as well as Stephen King's IT. To be specific, though, Stephen Hawking tells this tale in the film, A Brief History of Time.

3. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

It's definately in "A Brief History of Time", by Stephen Hawking. I can't recall for sure whether or not it was in the documentary by the same title though.

4. david stark

david stark Second Unit

In Discworld The world (Discworld that is) is sat upon the back of 4 great elephants which in turn stand on the back of a turtle (called Great A'Tuin I think). I thought this was all from Pratchett's mind, I wasn't aware that it was based on any myth? do you have any other reference for this myth (just interested in hearing more about it that's all).

5. Neil J

Neil J Stunt Coordinator

Hey, thanks for the info. I remembered where I "heard" the story from when I was getting ready for work. I had actually read it in one of Stephen King's The Dark Tower books, it was in either the last book or the one before that. Kinda funny I thought it was a movie.