turntables

Billy Posey

Second Unit
Recently I purchased an old used turntable. Everything seems to work fine except for the sound. It's pretty faint and there is a lot of static sound. My receiver manual says that it can only turntables with a moving magnet type and not moving coil. I cant if the cartridge is either mm or mc, I would think that the faint sound would mean a moving coil but I am not sure that the static indicates there is something else wrong. I am hoping to get some advice. I do know that the cartridge is a r 1000 edt with and Rs 8t stylus.

Thanks for the help.

David Norman

Premium
Here's what I can find -- R1000 edt is a Radio Shack branded cartridge made by Shure and has a output of 5mV which almost for sure makes it a Moving Magnet cartridge. It's a discontinued product with the current suggested replacement as a Shure m97xe (actually a very nice MM cartridge).

If the output is low and distorted, the first question becomes how do you have the turntable attached to the receiver -- 1) the the dedicated phono input or 2) another aux input?

If you already are using the Phono input then it sounds like you either have a dead cartridge or bad wire somewhere in the cartridge/tonearm,etc. If it's any other audio input then you need to switch to the Phono/turntable input.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23