What's new

turntables (1 Viewer)

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
Recently I purchased an old used turntable. Everything seems to work fine except for the sound. It's pretty faint and there is a lot of static sound. My receiver manual says that it can only turntables with a moving magnet type and not moving coil. I cant if the cartridge is either mm or mc, I would think that the faint sound would mean a moving coil but I am not sure that the static indicates there is something else wrong. I am hoping to get some advice. I do know that the cartridge is a r 1000 edt with and Rs 8t stylus.

Thanks for the help.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's what I can find -- R1000 edt is a Radio Shack branded cartridge made by Shure and has a output of 5mV which almost for sure makes it a Moving Magnet cartridge. It's a discontinued product with the current suggested replacement as a Shure m97xe (actually a very nice MM cartridge).

If the output is low and distorted, the first question becomes how do you have the turntable attached to the receiver -- 1) the the dedicated phono input or 2) another aux input?

If you already are using the Phono input then it sounds like you either have a dead cartridge or bad wire somewhere in the cartridge/tonearm,etc. If it's any other audio input then you need to switch to the Phono/turntable input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks