What's new

Turntables--preamps (1 Viewer)

MichaelM

Agent
My reciever (Onkyo) doesn't have a dedicated Phono input. So does this mean I have to buy a preamp to hook my turntable into first? I saw a Sony Turntable that said it had a preamp built in. I have an old Pioneer turntable. Is there a way to tell if it has a preamp builtin? It's very old (over 15 years) so I'm assuming it doesn't.

Thanks!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Yes, turntables require their own dedicated pre-amps. As for why, I am sure someone can explain it much better than I can.

While I haven't listened to any of those turntables that come with build-in phono pre-amps, I don't think they can be any good. The turntables in question are generally at the very bottom of the turntable ladder. The often-mentioned Radio Shack "little rat" photo pre-amp can be had for about $30.00 or less when it was available; you may want to check your local RS. I have read that the RS phono pre-amp is as good as, if not better than, the NAD PP-1 phono pre-amp ($120.00).

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
So does this mean I have to buy a preamp to hook my turntable into first?
You need a "phono preamp" or a "phono stage", not a regular preamp. The output of a phono cartridge is about 1000 times weaker than the output of a normal CD player, so it needs extra amplification. The signal also needs to be equalized because it's put onto the vinyl with a specific EQ applied to it (for various reasons).

I would assume that your turntable doesn't have a phono stage built it. You can find out by connecting it to a regular (Aux) input on your receiver. If you have to turn the volume way up and the sound is thin and shrill, you don't have a phono stage in the turntable.

I can second Danny's recommendation for the $25 Radio Shack phono stage, if you can find it anywhere. Other than that, your options are in the $100 range, unless you can DIY and then you can build a simple one for say $50 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks