Turntable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Im looking to spend around $200-300 on a turntable for my HT.

I dont "spin" or anything like that. I listen mostly to classic rock. Just looking for a decent product.

Any suggestions? New or used is fine.

2. Wei-Min

Wei-Min Auditioning

For your price range, you can consider these TTs:
    1. Music Hall MMF-2.1
    2. ProJect Debut II
    3. Rega Planar 2 (used)
    Note that you will still need money to purchase a cartridge and a phonostage if you do not have them.
    For pricing of these TTs, you can check out the following sites:
    1.Needle Doctor
    2.Audio Advisor
    For more opinions, you can try Vinyl Asylum
    Hope this helps!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, Wei-Min provided great advice. One more option I will throw in is a Sony PS-LX350H manual turntable from Crutchfield for $200. You may be able to get it for less through J&R Music World. Both are authorized dealers. Anyway, the Sony unit is probably not as good as any of the units that Wei-Min mentioned, but I have been perfectly happy with it. For $200, you get everything -- cartridge, tonearm, etc. In addition, the Sony table comes with long, detachable cables, which provides some flexibility that many tables do not provide since most tables come with hard-wired cables. I needed a relatively long cable run, and the Sony worked out great. I still may upgrade the turntable one day, but for now, the Sony is working very well.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Anthony, I recommend you avoid any turntables that use P-MOUNT cartridges. Get something that use standard mount cartriges. P-mount Usually means that it's a very compromised design IMO. I got my present turntable, an 80's Denon model for $35 at the flea market. I took it to the shop and got new belts and got a Shure V-type IV I had put on it. So many folks have cast off phonographs, there are some decent used players to be found if you scrounge around.

I wouldn't limit my scearch to new. If you could scrounge up a decent used player, you could spend more on a cartridge for it, perhaps? Good luck on your search!

5. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

get a dual 550 belt drive off of ebay. [​IMG]

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I agree with Rachael, I went to my local Goodwill and bought a nice Technics SL-D2 turntable for $25.

I took headphones and a radio-shack battery operated phono-preamp to test with.

Then I bought a new cartridge (Grado for $40)