Turntable tonearm's tilted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marvin, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I have a SONY PS-LX300H turntable. I've adjusted the cartridge angle using a cartridge protractor. But I noticed that, when looking straight at the cartridge from the front(not from above), it's tilted to the right side. This isn't just the cartridge because the head shell to which it attaches is also tilted. But I can't adjust that since it slides and locks into a groove in the tonearm. So that means the tonearm is slightly tilted.

Is this something that should be, and can be fixed? Does it require disassembling the entire turntable or is there some easier way to adjust the tonearm?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If it's canted to an angle, then it isn't correctly set up. Can you force the cartridge shell just a little bit? Some tonearms allow for this (I had to do it on an old AR-Xa turntable/tonearm combo I owned more than thirty years ago).

3. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Thanks for the response Jack. I can loosen the screws that hold the cartridge adapter to the head shell (the screws go upward) and I can adjust the cartridge to point more to the left or more to the right (this is what I did with the protractor).

But what I really meant (not sure if my previous post was clear) is that I can't level it, i.e. move one side up or down. And I can't move the head shell up or down on either side since it slides into a slot on the tone arm.

It seems that I'd need to rotate the tonearm counter-clockwise. But I don't know how to make this adjustment (the manual doesn't go into that much detail).

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Sounds like the adjustment you need is for "azimuth". Not sure if your headshell will accomodate, but some cartridges come with small, thin plastic/brass washers which can be inserted under a screw under one side in order to change the azimuth. I'd try an electronics store that sells/services turntables for some washers.

5. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Ah, so that's what "azimuth" is. I just did a search and found this page: http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm
    In my case, the cartridge is aligned with the headshell but the headshell (and tonearm) are out of adjustment. If you look at the bottom picture in that webpage, if you can picture the headshell with the arm tilted slightly down on the right side, that's my situation.
    So you're suggesting adding a shim onto the left screw (right under the headshell). That looks like something to try if I can't adjust the tonearm from the opposite end.
    Thanks for the suggestion.