Turntable Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Up, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Dec 16, 2002
    Recently my eyes(ears)have been opened to a new sound I've been missing. That being Hi Rez audio in the form of DVD-Audio and now in vinyl (that being with a good table).

I previously had a cheap made Kenwood table that sounded pretty bad with it's own cartridge. When I replaced with a $60 Audio-Technica Cartridge, the sound improved drastically sounding similar the tonality of a CD but slightly different. Being this was a good cartridge, I felt that this was the best I could do as it did sound very good but with just a hint of some resonance. Now I've upgraded to the Sony PS-LX350H and WOW, what a difference. I'm just using it's included cartridge but it's sound identical, if not even better than most of my CDs. The resonance is completely gone and the bass is deeper and stronger. There's more air and the imaging is outstanding. In fact, I'll be going to our local used LP dealer to buy some more vinyl!

Just how is the table connected to the electrical signals? I thought the table was only mechanical and that the signals from the cartridge went straight through the wiring to the phono preamp in the receiver.

I will say the Kenwood was a cheaply made table that was fully automatic. The Sony adds adds anti-skating control, tracking force control, pitch control, leveling control, and the table is very heavy. The Kenwood table was as light as a VCR, where the Kenwood table is as heavy as some quality receivers.

Thanks for the answer, have a good one.
  2. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

Jan 12, 2003
    The phono catridge produces an electrical signal based on the way the stylus vibrates as it tracks the grooves. The phono preamp boosts that signal to line levels for amplication to the speakers.

If you ever make your way to a high end turntable, you'll really experience great sounds, much better than CD.

I have had a Linn Sondek with a Rega RB300 arm and Goldring GL moving coil cartridge for about 20 years. Today it would cost close to $4K. But I have yet to hear any CD that sounds as good as LPs on this table. The closest that's come to it is the Krell SACD player or the Arcam CD93 upsampling player.

But a great sub-$1000 turntable can be found in the Rega line.