Turntable recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Seno Jr., Apr 20, 2002.

1. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Im a neo audiophile and can attest to loving the warm sound which records give you. Can you guys reommend some turntables that I could get from ebay to upgrade my current Sony setup?
    Obviously a Rega Planar 25 would be great, as would a 3 or even a 2, but being well known, those are often out of my price range. i could afford a brand new P25, but the goal here is to get it for UNDER $50. So recommend away [​IMG]

2. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Disclaimer: I have a turntable (Rega 2/Grado cartridge) but am NOT one of these people who will insist that lps sound better than cds.

Now that that's out of the way, I have had it demonstrated to my satisfaction that the better the turn table, the better your records will sound. I horiginally had my Rega plugged into my amp with a Phillips GA-312, which was considered to be a decent tt at the time. My integrated amp had inputs for two tts. Both tts had the same model cartridge. Anyone who heard both tts was amazed by the difference, especially the imaging and sense of air around the speakers. I had never heard sound beyong teh spezakers (i.e., not just between them) before I had the Rega.

I'm not necessarily pushing Rega here. Any good belt drive table will do the job. If you could find a Phillips or belt drive Dual for your price, you would do fine, but once you have it, you will want to upgrade.

I recommend waiting and saving up for something better.

Happy hunting,

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Larry said:

4. Larry Seno Jr.

I meant $50. Not $500. People, come on! Dig deep here.
    And BTW a Rega Planar with an RB-300 tonearm will just SMOKE that Music Hall.
    The $2500 Basis table will smoke the Rega Planar 3.
    But ANYWAY
    You can SEE some Thorens and Rega TABLES with unoriginal tone arms for around $100 on ebay, you guys are just supposed to recommend turntables from the early 90s and 80s, it will be up to me to bargain hunt [​IMG]
    The point of saying that was DONT recommend Rega etc. because those will NEVER be found. I need the GOOD shit, the underground stuff that the mainstream hasn't heard of.

5. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

If you can get your hands on one, a Dual 505 is a nice inexpensive piece. I have been running one myself nigh on 10+ years with only replacing the belt and cartridge once.

It has your basic 33 and 45 rpm switch and it's even got a Pitch control. (there is no actual light on the unit to set the speed so I just placed a florcenent light near the table and I can set my speed fine).

A real bonus would be to find this piece in the wooden shell as opposed to the plastic one.

Nuff said?

6. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Larry said:

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

By the way, this thread really belongs on the Audio/Video Sources board.

9. Larry Seno Jr.

The people in the Audio/Video Sources don't care about Music and it would get zero replies before being buried.

10. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'm interested in finding a turntable for less than $50, so if you don't want to tell Larry, tell me. I promise I'll keep him out of the loop. [​IMG]

11. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Maybe Circuit City has tables under $50.

I'd recommend just perusing the used tables on Ebay on a daily basis.

Anything you find used under $50 may require a little work/maintenance and a cartridge.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Larry,
    $50 is an awfully low ceiling. You will be better off with a mass market CD player from China.
    You should check out used equipment sites like Audiogon and Toys from The Attic and pray someone lowballs an old Rega or Music Hall.
    I would spend a few hundred bucks and get a Rega if possible. Regas are also fairly unfussy to work with and setup and very durable over the long haul. And they sound good too! [​IMG]
    Lee

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You should be able to buy a used Dual table on ebay for around that price...not much else available that I'm aware off at that price. Check your local salvation army's or thift stores as well since they often get used tables in.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Larry said:

15. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

The Technics SL-D2 is a nice direct drive turnatable made in the early 80's that can be had for 50 to 60$ on Epay. I would allocate another 50$ and get a new decent low end cartrige/stylus and set it up right and go from there.

16. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

I have a old BSR turntable Quanta 550 auto that I will sell for $50.00 it works good and I want to upgrade to something better if you interested? You pay the shipping

17. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Larry, (with Bill Cosby's voice) are you pulling our chain?

This is a pretty ridiculous thread. You stated "vinyl isn't important to you".....Then why bother at all Larry? You have been given some decent advice and I think KeithH jumping to the $500 budget conclusion was right on. I thought the same thing when reading this thread. Good luck with vinyl.

18. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

And after you guys find him a good turntable for $50, could you try and find me a good Italian sports car, that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds, for $500? [​IMG]
    Larry