What's new

turntable recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Robert Silge

Agent
I am pondering the enjoyable listening experience of vinyl. In part this is nostalgia, but in part just the whole holisitc experience of listening to analog as opposed to digital media.

Does anyone have any turntable recommendations? I don't have a golden ear, and my speakers are decent but not studio quality by any stretch. I'm looking for something affordable but of good quality for the occasional vinyl LP.

Thanks.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
It depends on what you consider affordable. I've had good luck with a Pro-Ject turntable that I bought for about $300 a number of years back. Not sure about the model anymore, but it looks much like the Debut. Of course, you can easily get ten times that price into just a needle.

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Pro-ject and Music Hall (same factory) are both great bang for the buck options. They both have very affordable entry level models that usually include a pretty decent cartridge.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Under $200 Technics tables are tough to beat. They work great. That's what I'd buy if my Denon crapped out.

Robert Silge

Agent
Given that my speakers at this point aren't likely to display the differences between a good turntable and a REALLY good turntable, both a Technics and the Pro-ject look like nice options.

Generally speaking would it be better to spend more for a turntable (say the Pro-ject) and use the included cartridge, or spend less on a Technics or Denon turntable and spend more money on a better cartridge? In other words, which contributes more to the overall sound?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's not an either/or situation. Like should I spend more money on a receiver or speakers? Some will say receiver, some will say speakers. The reality is that if you spend too much on either, your total experience will be limited by the performance of the other. Usually when table and cart come together they are well matched and there is no reason to upgrade.

The Technics table comes with a servicable cart. I would not consider any other brand under $300 than Technics. The Denon table looks interesting but I don't like the standard mount cart.

Audiophiles Poo-poo the P-mount system but I'm a believer. I never trust the alignment of conventional tables. Misaligned needle may damage records.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks