1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Turntable Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andy_Munich, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Andy_Munich

Andy_Munich Stunt Coordinator

My user ID is a clever riddle!
    I need some help! I told my girlfriend if she wanted to keep her LP's then she had to properly store them in a more attractive manner than the stack of unsightly boxes hiding in the corner from when we moved in around NINE months ago ...

so she took them all out, cleaned them before placing them in archival sleeves and filed them neatly away on the bottom shelves of our bookcases. The problem is that now we need to purchase a decent turntable for her vinyl that does not cost an arm and a leg?

Any suggestions?

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Andy - define 'arm and a leg' [​IMG]

What might your price range be?

Does your receiver (or pre/pro or whatever) have a 'phono' input. If not you will probably need a phono pre-amp as well.

Same questions for phono cartridges - how much are you willing to spend?

3. matthewRaz

matthewRaz Stunt Coordinator

i got a pro-ject debut II turntable a few months ago for about $400 cdn. simple, pretty and sounds great. my old stereo receiver has a phono stage though. they come in glossy color finishes for a bit more. i think urban outfitters (trendy clothes and home stuff) sells them for $300 amer. on their website but they (pro-ject) have the sonic goods for a great price

4. Andy_Munich

Sorry for the delay in replying ... out of town house guests ...

Anyway - in the $400. range would be nice and as it has been ages since she has purchased a cartridge, I have no idea.

As far as hook-ups, our Denon is good to go.

And thanks for the help [​IMG]

5. matthewRaz

matthewRaz Stunt Coordinator

$400 would get you the step up pro-ject "xpression" or the goldring "gr-1" - both are supposed to to be outstanding budget tables

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm in a similar boat, and didn't want to start an identical thread. I've been living with my parents old Sony table for a year or so, and now that I've got some cash-flow happening, I'd like to replace it. Would $300 for the table + cartridge get me anything decent?

7. Andy_Munich

Anyone else out there have ideas for Matt? There has to be some vinyl lovers out there still, eh? [​IMG]

8. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

You could get a Music Hall MMF-2.1 in that price range. It's a nice table and comes with a factory mounted cartridge. Needle Doctor and Music Direct sell it or you may have a local dealer. You could also look on ebay or Audiogon for a used Music Hall MMF-5 or a Rega P3. Good luck with whatever you choose!

9. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

check for a used Dual 505. A decent example can be had for around $150.00 and spend a another $150.00 on a cartridge and you'll be all set.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ditto scott on the rega and music hall recommendations.

here's a thread i posted ages ago ... may still find some useful info in there.

11. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I have a Rega P2, myself. I haven't listened ot different brands, but can stronly suggest that you get the best TT you can. I had the same cartridge mounted on the Rega as on my previous TT (Phillips GA-312, not a bad table, either) and could not believe the difference in the sound from just the better TT. I never noticed music coming from outside the speakers before!

So don't skimp on the TT!

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm in a similar boat with a $250-$400 price range. But I need an entry-level turntable (w/ cartridge) that has RCAs out so that I can plug it into my Sonos system. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

The Music Hall - MMF 2.1 Turntable looked perfect but I couldn't see any RCA outs listed under its product specs.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

don -

afaik, all turntables use rca outputs .. or am i missing something?

14. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Don

The 2.1 has rca outputs.

Ted

There are phono cables with XLR outputs but these are usually expensive aftermarket cables.

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you want to go pro, then the Stanton line of turntables might be worth taking a look at. They're usually discounted about 50% (local Guitar Centers and other pro shops) and some models have digital outs.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

duplicate post.

17. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

If you can find a used Music Hall MMF-5 (or MMF-2.1 for Matt) in your price range it would be a pretty good deal. The stock Goldring cartridge is not bad, but the table can be upgraded very inexpensively and by a considerable margin by replacing the Goldring with an Audio Technica 440ML. The 440ML is faster and has better bass response than the Goldring 1012 it replaced in my MMF-5 and it also tracks better, when properly set-up. You can find the AT-440ML for under $100 from The Needle Doctor.

Usual disclaimers, this is MO, YMMV, etc. I have no affiliation with TND, except as a satisfied customer.