Turntable recommendations?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CraigL, Apr 3, 2004.

1. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Hey all,

I'm not sure which forum I should put this in but I was looking to purchase a reliable turntable that I could use to make backups of some of my vinyl. Anyone have any recommendations??

2. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

check out ebay. lots of good, older tts there. thorens, dual, etc. i prefer belt drive, but then i've been using my belt drive dual since i bought it new in '78. only service it's ever had is a new belt a month ago.

you might want to invest in a new cartridge. grado, audio technica, etc. an old, used one might have a worn stylus, which will ruin your records. and a new stylus on an old cartridge might be throwing good money after bad, if the elastomer suspension in the cartridge is dried/hard/cracked.

ag.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

You will get some suggestions, but it would help if we knew your budget, and just how fussy you are about quality.

You can get new tables for $100 (not that I would want one!), but what most would consider decent quality, entry level will put you around $300. Music Hall, ProJect, etc. get a lot of mentions.

You will also need a phono pre-amp unless your receiver already has a phono input, or you get a table with one built in.

I just got back into vinyl after 10+ years w/o, and settled on a new Rega P2 with a NAD phono pre-amp. About $650 for everything.

I have an older Bang and Olufsen 1800 that, with good vinyl, sounds surprisingly good given its age. If you are interested, I posted a FS ad in the HW For Sale section of the HTF.

BGL

4. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

ya i would look at a Project or Music hall. that is the route i'm going.