Turntable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse P, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Jesse P

Jesse P Extra

I have a JVC AL-F350BKX turntable. The belt wasn't installed so I took the plate off to install the belt and it is very loose, and won't turn the plate. The motor turns and everything else seems functional. My question is do I need to replace the belt or am I missing some sort of belt tension adjustment or something of that sort.

The belt only goes around the plate and motor shaft. On the motor there are 2 holes that may have had some pins to give the belt more tension?, does anyone with a turntable have this. I'm not to familiar with turntables and I don't have the manual.

Thanks.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Do the 2 holes look like you would insert a screwdriver in there to adjust something? It's possible that's for fine-tuning the speed, or something like that. I don't see how belt tension can be changed without moving the motor spindle or main platter (i.e., increasing the distance between them). Maybe all you need is a new belt - search around online, I've seen people who stock belts for a huge range of turntables, and they don't cost much at all.

3. Jesse P

Jesse P Extra

The holes are very small, not screwdriver adjustment. I'm going to get a new belt, but I was wondering if that will fix the problem. Do most belt-drive turntables have the belt go around the plate and motor shaft or do they also have some pulley or guide pins that the belt goes around?

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Belt Drive tuntables that I've seen have a belt that goes from the motor (small) to a ridge near the outside of the record playing platter. It's like a bicycle or motorcycle chain with a small sprocket on one side and a large sprocket on the other.

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

The ones I've owned (and the one I currently own) have the belt go around just the motor pulley and the main spindle pulley. My last turntable had a mechanism that moved the belt from one pulley to another (on the motor) to achieve the 2 speeds, but that touched the belt only when the speed change lever was moved.