Turntable, no volume?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    After hearing people talking about Vinyl and LP's, I wanted to try it out. My parents have a record player as well as a large collection that has long since been demoted to the garage. So I dig it all out, and set it up.

I plugged the old Turntable into the AUX rca connectors on my Pioneer VSX-D811S... but in order to hear any volume at all, I have to turn the volume almost ALL the way up, way louder than I have ever had to turn annything on any other source.

Am I doing something wrong? Someone said something about a pre-amp, but I didn't really understand. I can't afford to have this little project cost me a lot of money, is there something I can do to fix it or do I have to buy something to make it work?

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

The output of a phono is much lower than any other source. In order to hear a proper presentation, you either have to have a preamp/receiver with a phono input or you have to use a separate preamp -- assuming your turntable isn't one that already has a preamp built in which a couple newer models do. If you've ever heard someone try to play a CD player through a receiver's phono input you'll understand immediately that input is different.

Radio Shack apparently sells a rather popular and inexpensive phono preamp.

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I'm using an old 70's era receiver as am amp via directly plugging into the internal amp. Since I'm doing that I basically have the entire pre-amp portion of that receiver doing absolutly nothing. I plugged the turntable into the phono input and then ran an RCA cable from the tape-out jacks into the AUX line-in on my pioneer. Works great now. I guess it is a little ghetto, but saved be from having to buy a $40 phono pre-amp.