1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Turntable, no volume?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    After hearing people talking about Vinyl and LP's, I wanted to try it out. My parents have a record player as well as a large collection that has long since been demoted to the garage. So I dig it all out, and set it up.

I plugged the old Turntable into the AUX rca connectors on my Pioneer VSX-D811S... but in order to hear any volume at all, I have to turn the volume almost ALL the way up, way louder than I have ever had to turn annything on any other source.

Am I doing something wrong? Someone said something about a pre-amp, but I didn't really understand. I can't afford to have this little project cost me a lot of money, is there something I can do to fix it or do I have to buy something to make it work?

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

The output of a phono is much lower than any other source. In order to hear a proper presentation, you either have to have a preamp/receiver with a phono input or you have to use a separate preamp -- assuming your turntable isn't one that already has a preamp built in which a couple newer models do. If you've ever heard someone try to play a CD player through a receiver's phono input you'll understand immediately that input is different.

Radio Shack apparently sells a rather popular and inexpensive phono preamp.

3. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I'm using an old 70's era receiver as am amp via directly plugging into the internal amp. Since I'm doing that I basically have the entire pre-amp portion of that receiver doing absolutly nothing. I plugged the turntable into the phono input and then ran an RCA cable from the tape-out jacks into the AUX line-in on my pioneer. Works great now. I guess it is a little ghetto, but saved be from having to buy a $40 phono pre-amp.