Turntable Hum........

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted_Wern, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

I know most of you are probably done with turntables but I just can't give up on the warm sound of vinyl. I recently picked up a Rotel phonostage to hook up to my Marantz 8200. At high volumes I get a terrible hum and it is driving me crazy. I tried moving the ground from the phonstage to the amp but it doesn't seem to help. As of right now the receiver is on the top shelf and the turntable is on the bottom. Does anyone have a solution for me?

2. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

Try replacing the L/R audio cables. I had the exact same problem a few days ago, and i changed out the cables with better insulated ones and it did the trick.

Tell me if it works!

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

which model phono stage and new or used?

4. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Extra

get a new turntable, hehe

Technics SL-1200MK2

5. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

Well, first off, I would never touch a technics product, so thats out of the question. Plus I just bought the turntable I have (Rega Planar 3). The phonostage I am using is the Rotel RQ970BX). Thanks for the help..

6. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

try putting the grn back on the phonostage then run another wire from the phonostage to the pre amp

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I can think of several possibilities.
    1) as was mentioned above, you may have a flaky cable and a better shielded one may do the trick.
    2) you've got a source of airborne EMI/RFI so I'd look around to see if there are any walwarts, dimmers, halogens, around.
    3) an internal problem...don't know if this is a new unit but if so, a return to the dealer sounds like a good idea.
    4) there's a product called the EbTech Hum eliminator. It can be found at your local Guitar Center. They have an excellent return policy and if all else fails you might give it a try. The idea is if the hum is being induced into the cables, then the insertion of this product in-line will take care of it. I've seen it used generally between a preamp and an amp but it may have more applicability than that.
    5) might want to post your question over at audioasylum. They've got a pretty active forum for vinyl.

8. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

I tried the two ground cables and no luck. So, I decided to move the turntable to another loctaion in the room. About 3 feet from my audio rack.....Guess what??? The hum is gone. Now I just have to find a way to convince my wife how good the turntable looks on the buffet....

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So the turntable seems to be the culprit! Now would you have had that problem with a Technics?

10. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

Well.....I tried my buddies table which was a Marantz and it did the same..

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So then comes the question...is the hum being induced by the turntable into the phono amp or the other way around?