Turntable hookup question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EduardoBonifaz, Jan 16, 2004.

1. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

I just got a sony turntable, It has a pair of RCA cables for output, my receiver does not have a phono input, so I bought (at radioshack) a mini stereo amplifier (RCA SA-155)
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=31-5000

, 20w, with RCA phono inputs, in the rear panel it has a couple of RCA ouputs labeled speakers (one left, one right), I was wondering If I can connect this outputs (with an RCA audio interconnect cable) to the AUX inputs of my receiver, is this correct?, thanks for the help

2. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

No, what you need to do is connect the TAPE OUT (of the mini-amp) to your AUX IN and then have the selector on PHONO. The volume control of the mini-amp will not affect the output of the TAPE OUT as this is a line out. Which is what you need.

What you really needed to buy is a Phono pre-amp. Radio Shack has one for around $30.00. If the unit you have is still in the box maybe you can exchange it and get some money back.

3. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice!

I just did what you said and I played of my oldies vinyl records the weekend, unfortunately I couldn´t find the phono preamp in mexico so, I´ll keep the mini amp [​IMG]