What's new

Turntable- Feedback occurs above midrange volume. (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
My older Pioneer Turntable is experiencing a loud humming feedback noise when played at volumes above the mid-range volume of my amplifier.
I have the ground strap tied to the Receiver.
If my House is not electrically grounded would that cause this feedback to occur? or is there some other explanation for this phenomena.

PomingF

Second Unit
Derek, do you mean if you turn the volume down below the level the feedback won't come on? If that's the case it's resonance coming from the rack/shelf your TT is sitting on. Moving it to a more solid foundation or using isolation devices will help (check the other TT thread of Saurav's suggestion). Also always put the top cover of your TT down when it's playing.

PF

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Also, if your TT is near one of your speakers you could get feedback. The cartridge acts a bit like a microphone, picking up vibrations from the speaker, transmitted through the floor, the rack, and the feet of the TT. Isolation devices will help with this too.

KJP

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the feedback goes away when I turn the volume down.

You are saying that I need to move the TT away from the receiver? Why would the receiver cause the noise?

I understand the speaker issue. It is near the speaker, but how far from the speaker would I have to place it in order to eliminate the feedback. Or am I screwed if my speakers shake the entire room? What type of isolation device would I need?

Does my grounding have anything to do with the feedback?

Many questions.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Derek, also check out the cable running from your TT to your receiver. Move the cable around while playing a record and see if it alters the hum. On older TT, the jacks are pretty cheap and wires can come loose over time.
If that is'nt the problem then isolation is on the agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks