What's new

Turntable: Dual 604 setup help (1 Viewer)

francisco-a

Agent
Im new on the Vinyl and Turntable, so I need help in the setup of my Dual 604 turntable, because with new vinyls Im getting a "harsh" (if it´s the word). The vinyl is the new edition of DSOTM, and It´s brand new.

Anyone knows how to setup it?

The arm has a knob from -2 to +2 and there´s also the anti-skating thing that I dont know what it is for and how to setup it.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Yeah I would say get your nearest local dealer who sells turntables to come over and guide you through the set-up process. You will probably have to pay him some money, but the knowledge could certainly be worth it.

Another good source of turntable set-up info is www.AudioAsylum.com and click on their FAQ. Several articles on turntable set-up and maintenance linked in it.

Another good article can be found on Galen Carol Audio's webpage www.gcaudio.com under Resources.

The "anti-skating thing" is to control the lateral movement of the tone-arm. The -2 to +2 ring, on the rear of the tone-arm, is for balancing the tone-arm front to back to reduce the pressure placed on the vinyl by the stylus. The only way to adjust that, that I know of, is to have a tone-arm balance. With this device you adjust the balance to the grams of pressure recommended by your cartridge manufacturer. A rough adjustment, if you are lacking the balance tool, is to adjust the ring until the tone-arm almost floats without falling down onto the platter. Do not adjust it to the point that it does not fall, but to the point that it falls VERY slowly. The adjustment has to be made with the tone-arm disengaged of course.

BTW, I have a Dual 1219 that I purchased new back in the early '70s.

francisco-a

Agent
Thanks for the help, but I dont get it. Do you mean that depending of the thickness of the vinyl you should be adjusting the arm?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
If you are really picky about vinyl then yes, you should adjust VTA when you change to a disc of differing thickness.

But most aren't that picky, and the ones that are usually have a tonearm that it is really easy to adjust VTA on with exact precision like the Graham 2.2

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
francisco-a,
Set up on the Dual is basic but differs from most tables.
- Make sure the shipping bolts on the base are loose. This releases the suspension springs underneath.
- Level the entire table. Be accurate.
- With cartridge mounted, stylus guard in place, turn the small wheel on the side of the tone arm to zero.
- Turn the large dial marked "anti-skate" to zero.
- Make sure unit is unplugged. Move the arm out over the platter. Turn the big weight on the back of the arm and it will move forward or back depending on the which way you turn it. Adjust it to the point that it makes the arm float balanced above the platter, the arm's tube parallel with the platter. Return the arm to it's stand and latch it.
- Check the cartridge's recommendation for tracking weight, turn the small dial up on the arm to that number. Probably 1 to 1.5.
- Turn the anti-skating dial to the same number.
- Spin that record!

Dual includes a jig for correct placement of the cartridge during mounting. If you don't have one, get one. Or get one of the many aftermarket alighnment tools. This is critical to your tables performance and vinyl's lifespan.
A company that sells these tools will also sell new platter mats. Get one. You'll see why the first time you use it. Sail the stock mat over the fence or list it on e-bay for $1800.00, claiming it has magic properties.
Good luck and enjoy!

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I just upgraded my Dual CS 515 (circa 1985) with a Joseph Grado Prestige Red cartridge for the purpose of rediscovering my vinyl collection. I've been burning all my "good" vinyl onto CD-R's for posterity and picked up some new audiophile pressings along the way. The new DSOTM sounds awesome on this budget system (DPLII was made for this LP). Although I haven't had the sonic pleasure of listening to the SACD release, I'm quite happy with this arrangement.

As far as your question goes, I'm one of these guys that likes to adjust by ear (not easy). DSOTM was tricky to set up and I found myself going back to the 20th Anniversary box CD as a reference (and not a very good one at that!!) The sibilances on this LP are soft in many places (am I correct on this assumption - please advise - anyone). Overall this LP does blow away any previous CD incarnations.

My turntable has the anti-skating set to 1.5g and the dial-in weight also set to 1.5g. The counterweight is set farther back of the tonearm due to the mass of the cartridge (the original Ortofon OM10 was a much lighter cartridge body - therefore the counter balance needed to be moved further in from the end of the toneam).

You may also want to check out Classic Records Genesis re-issues on 180g & 200g vinyl. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks