What's new

turntable and speakers seeks high end older model amp/ stereo any ideas on where to start please. (1 Viewer)

jim09

Grip
Real Name
james
i would like to seperate my turntable from my h/t so i have two setups . i have 7 channel h/t the pride of this being b&w 684s as front speakers the rest are cerwin vega v/e series . i am going to remove the 684s from my h/t making it 5 channell and use them for my turntable . i have a pro-ject rpm 5.1 turntable its getting so much use i need to put it in a sperate area away from my tv room . id like to get an old school high end reciever or amp even vintage stuff, i notice the older stuff is a lot lower watt possibly best for 4 ohm speakers . any recomendations ? must have phono input very important . can be integrated or componant , only needed for playing lps . good match b&w 684 ohms 8-minumim 3 , 25 - 150 watts into 8?on unclipped ( i have no idea what that means ) speakers . can be 2.1 channel leaning on the cheaper side rather than the more expensive side . 80s maybe when stuff was still made in japan ? to young to remember . im geussing an older solid state would be perfect for what i need , also music collection varies all genres from blue grass to drum and bass / electronic . wanna get this right will be icing on my audio cake . thanks

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
There are many great sounding older pre amps and amps out there. The B&K Pro 5 and Pro 10 come to mind. Add a Parasound HCA-600/750/800/1000 two channel amp and you should have a great sounding system

jimzcatz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Scarpine
Not sure if you would be interested, but I bought a converter that allows me to use standard stereo input jacks for my turntable. It works fine for me, no noticeable noise. Search Ebay for turntable adapter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-AMPLIFIER-6-35MM-MICROPHONE-PHONO-TO-STEREO-RCA-PREAMP-TURNTABLE-AMP-BT26-/310376875194?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4843e744ba#ht_2642wt_911

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can use a phono preamp with any receiver that doesn't have one. I'd look at an integrated amp from someone like Marantz, as they are analog only and tend to have phono inputs on them already. The current model appears to be the 4023 http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR4023. Low power + 4 Ohm speakers is not a good plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks