Turning the tables : )

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have a few albums I want to rip and burn onto CD's. I think my turntable needs service or cleaning. What what you do before "recording your album to burn onto CD's" if you were me? My turntable is a 13 year old Technics SL-BD22. Worked ok in its time, but now won't play at a constant speed (speed dial probably needs cleaning?)
    1) Clean and service it myself and record using the cartridge n there (not original, has been once replaced and used moderately and is not totally worn out, its just not really high end).
    2) Replace the needle with a Shure V15VMR before recording albums.
    3) "Borrow or rent" someones MK1000 or whatever (the topline Technics turntable) and use that to record my albums.
    I'll play them through my old amp and connect RCA cables from the TAPE out of the amp and use my PC and SB 128 to make .wav files which I'll compile on CD's.
    Any ideas?
    thanx [​IMG]

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Sounds like it might be a belt drive TT and just needs a new drive belt. You can probably check by carefully lifting the platter up.

You will also need a PHONO preamp, either the PHONO input on an old stereo receiver or you can get a standalone phono preamp from radio shack for $25. It's a little cigarette-pack sized preamp that eliminates the 60Hz hum from the wall outlet with it's 9V battery power source.

I use one and it really gets rave reviews.

You then plug the RCA outputs of this preamp into a standard line input on any receiver (like tape), and then to your CD recorder, or a PC soundcards L&R inputs for a CD burner. You can monitor the tape input.

BruceD

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you need "professional" service, I highly recommend www.theturntablefactory.com . Very reasonably priced, and Joel does excellent work.
    I decided to go the standalone CD burner route. Pioneer PDR-609 (very highly rated, at least on audioreview.com).
    Figured that way, would be easier than stringing RCA cables across my family room from my tt to my pc! [​IMG]
    And then just use sneaker-net to get the CDs to my PC for any processing there...

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I am going to use my OLD AMP. The old amp is an integrated amp and has a phono input. I assume that the TAPE-OUT of the integrated amp (the tape out is part of the old conventional tape loop) will be of a level that I can input into my sound card?

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Thats a a 10-4 Chris.

That setup should work just fine. Use the PC's Audio mixer control panel to control input (record) volume so as to maximize the sound going to the A/D converter without overloading it.

BruceD

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Agree, your plan is perfect.