What's new

Turning The Spotlight On...The Master (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

This afternoon I had the opportunity to sit and watch the upcoming release
of The Master on Blu-ray.
I must say, it's been such a long time since I have been mesmerized by
a film from start to finish. All of that is achieved by the remarkable, outstanding
performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

It's essentially the story of down-and-out war veteran Freddie Quell (Phoenix),
recently discharged from the Navy and attempting to re-establish his life in
post WWII America. Freddie happens to stumble upon Lancaster Dodd (Hoffman),
a charismatic evangelist cult leader who lures the drunken sailor into becoming
a guinea pig for his Processing techniques.
The Blu-ray transfer is exceptional with its sharp, detailed picture that is
free of any noise or artifacts. Image retains a very realistic look thanks to
its warm colors and natural skin notes. Certainly, home theater enthusiasts
who demand the best from Blu-ray will be very pleased with its the crystal-clear
imagery. There's not much to rave about the film's audio quality, which
while clear and distinctive for its duration, remains mostly "front heavy." Fortunately,
the wonderful, textured score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is superbly translated
throughout the film.

The Master is going to be one of those films that will be "hit" or "miss" with
its audiences. While Phoenix and Hoffman give what I feel to be one of the
best performances of their careers, the story itself is quite dark in its dealings
with human psychology. I found myself enjoying the film for its characters
rather than a story itself.
It is my hope that Joaquin Phoenix wins the Oscar for Best Actor for
his performance in this film. It is one of the most remarkable performances
I have seen from an actor in quite a long time. For that reason alone, The
Master is worthy of a rental. Those who share my opinion that this movie
is brilliant, will no doubt have already preordered their purchase.
Screen captures directly from the Blu-ray. Click for larger image.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Travis, I agree. I think, like myself, Academy members were more mesmerized with the performances rather than the storyline, which you must admit, gets very odd at times. As I noted in my review, this seems to be the kind of film that is going to be either well received or blatantly rejected by audiences. I did forget to mention that a lot of credit needs to be given to the film's cinematography which is quite wonderful and often amazing to watch on a large home screen.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I think that a viewing of the film would likely be benefited by skimming the Scientology Wikipedia page before going in ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice to hear this one was done right. for my money, The Master and Django Unchained were as good as movies got last year. The Master had me completely devastated by the end. Can't wait to revisit it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
PTA is may favorite director but this film is a mess. I said my piece in the thread about the theatrical release.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Ronald Epstein said:
Travis, I agree.  I think, like myself, Academy members were more mesmerized with the performances rather than the storyline, which you must admit, gets very odd at times.  As I noted in my review, this seems to be the kind of film that is going to be either well received or blatantly rejected by audiences. I did forget to mention that a lot of credit needs to be given to the film's cinematography which is quite wonderful and often amazing to watch on a large home screen.
Ron This film was shot in 65 MM and Ideally should have been viewed in 70 MM. I don't regret driving 50 miles to see this in 70 MM, one bit.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Joaquin Phoenix's performance is the best, bravest, rawest of the year. Amy Adams is subtly chilling and much more deserving of an award than Anne Hathaway's turn, which is good, but is fueled by a tremendous publicity machine. I wish more people had seen this movie. It's this year's The Tree of Life: you either love it or hate it. I was emotionally and aesthetically moved by both.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jose,
I think your overview (above) is spot on. The performances in this film are amazing.
I think Amy Adams is more deserving of an award than Anne Hathaway, but as you
correctly stated, there's a huge publicity machine at work here.
I can understand why some feel there is a total lack of story here. What I took away
from the film is that this is more of a character study of what happens when someone
who is emotionally lost is taken in by a charlatan and brainwashed. Both characters
have no redeeming qualities, and you sit and watch the interaction between these two
men who are completely devoted to each other despite the opposition around them.
I didn't particularly like Tree of Life, for the same reason some of you didn't like The
Master (so a great compare, Jose). I felt that film lacked a comprehensible story, but
now in hindsight, I realize it's all about the characters.
As I stated previously, I hope Joaquin takes home the Oscar. It is one of the most
amazing performances I have ever seen from an actor. He really had to reach deep
inside himself to bring out that performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks