What's new

Turning The Spotlight On....Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
swpic.jpg

Finally had the opportunity to sit and watch next week's Blu-ray release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Seeing this film theatrically in IMAX was thrilling enough. The home experience was even better for me. Really!

To sit and watch a quality Star Wars film (as opposed to the prequels) on a huge projected screen in your own home on a quality sound system is the closest thing to being in that IMAX theater.

Of course this Blu-ray looks and sounds exceptional. I doubt you will find a review anywhere on the Internet that says otherwise. I could go into particulars about detail, colors, and surrounds -- but honestly --- it's 5-stars all around.

Whether you ultimately watch this Blu-ray on a 40"-65" display on LED, Plasma or OLED --- it's going to be a very fulfilling experience.

I think those who will benefit the most are projector owners who will be viewing this on screens measuring 100" and above. Watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens on such a large screen is nothing short of EPIC. For over two hours, I sat glued to the screen, totally engaged with the film's story while being engrossed with the film's 7.1 audio.

For me, the most thrilling part of this film to watch again in a quality home theater environment is the tie-fighter chase of the Millenium Falcon on the planet Jakku. It is a fast-paced, high-octane sequence with Finn and Rey racing to learn how to pilot the ship then ultimately choosing to lose their enemy by navigating through the skeleton of an Imperial Starship. The visual and audio dynamics that make up this sequence are astounding. When I sat and watched this scene play across my home theater screen, I knew that all the money and effort I had invested in building my man cave had paid off.

Without argument, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the best Blu-ray release of this year. It's perfection on so many levels starting with director Abrams bringing us a film that is nothing short of a spectacle and ending with a Blu-ray release that is finely detailed both visually and sonically.

All of you have something very special to look forward to next week. This is a Blu-ray that is going to be played many times over. I can't wait to get to all the additional content on the second Blu-ray disc.

PROS

Too many to mention

CONS

The black cardboard cover is a fingerprint magnet. Hard to remove prints. Yeah, that's the worst thing I could come up with

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since I watched this film six times in various IMAX and 3-D-70 ft screen theaters, I won't be purchasing this BD release because it lacks the 3-D option. If and when that option is available I'll buy it then. If it never comes out on 3-D then I'll succumb and buy whatever is the best BD release of this film.

I figured this BD would look great and sound incredibly on our HT setups. Looking forward to experiencing it myself, hopefully, later this year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

I don't blame you.

Most people are going to do exactly what Disney had hoped they would do -- double dip.

I have no doubt that the reason why the 3D release was delayed is due to the popularity of this release. Disney quickly figured out (as Fox and LucasFilm has done in the past) that they could milk the heck out of this franchise. It's all about multiple releases and multiple purchases. The fans who want the film now (which is just about everybody) are going to buy it day one. Those very, very few who have the ability to exercise patience (like yourself) will wait for the eventual 3D release. Of course, there is speculation that will never happen, but taking into account everything I just said, I believe it will.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Definitely looking forward to picking this disc up. Thanks for the review, Ron!

I think my favorite part was in the climax when Rey (spoilers for those that waited to see the biggest moneymaker of all time)
Force pulls the lightsaber to her hand and takes on Kylo Ren. Even without the musical callback to A New Hope, that would be a great moment but with the music, that part is a 160 on a scale of 1 to 100 for this Star Wars nerd.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Definitely looking forward to picking this disc up. Thanks for the review, Ron!

I think my favorite part was in the climax when Rey (spoilers for those that waited to see the biggest moneymaker of all time)
Force pulls the lightsaber to her hand and takes on Kylo Ren. Even without the musical callback to A New Hope, that would be a great moment but with the music, that part is a 160 on a scale of 1 to 100 for this Star Wars nerd.
Avatar still holds that record in terms of worldwide grosses. Star Wars: The Force Awakens does hold the domestic grosses title.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
All Disney would have to do is reissue the movie theatrically and the record is theirs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way, I though this was worthy to mention...

Back when we were all worried about the loss of Fox Fanfare at the start of the film...

Disney was very dignified in how they handled the theatrical release. They put nothing in front of the film except a silent LucasFilm logo. It was a very smart decision and it kept the film "classy." The worst thing that could have happened was the awful Cinderella Castle Disney opening put before the start of STAR WARS.

Well, keeping with "class," Disney has put NOTHING in front of the Blu-ray release. This is the studio known for splattering tons of promos and trailers in front of their films. Not this time. The Blu-ray begins with a spinning BB-8 droid as it loads. Once loaded, you come to the main menu. Once you hit PLAY, the only thing that disrupts the start of the film is the FBI Warning.

Disney really did the right thing by making the playback of this film simple. They made the film the focus of the disc instead of putting all kinds of extras before it.

Oh...and the chapter markers are pretty cool. Try switching chapters and you will see a small pop-up on the left of the screen giving a neat little indicator.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait!
I've had this BD pre-ordered since December. (And, yes: I viewed the movie twice in the theaters; once in IMAX.)

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
While I'd have preferred to get the 3D version on Day One, I'm alright with the eventual double-dip.

It'd just better happen, is all...

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I heard the Target version has more extras? The Best Buy version has a Steelbook case . Does anyone know whats included on the different store versions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I heard the Target version has more extras? The Best Buy version has a Steelbook case . Does anyone know whats included on the different store versions.
Target has 20 minutes of downloadable bonus features and different packaging. Wal-Mart has the BB-8 slipcase and a Topps digital trading card disc, Best Buy has the steelbook and the Disney Store has lithographs.

StarWars.com has some more info: http://www.starwars.com/news/its-tr...orce-awakens-is-coming-home?cmp=smc|386077053

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This has been discussed some in this week's Weekly Roundup thread.
The Target additional extras are not on the disc. They're download only.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt that the reason why the 3D release was delayed is due to the popularity of this release. Disney quickly figured out (as Fox and LucasFilm has done in the past) that they could milk the heck out of this franchise. It's all about multiple releases and multiple purchases.

Given that 3D hasn't been as successful as the industry hoped and many reports of it being "dead" now, I seriously doubt they're going to sell more 3D copies by delaying it. Putting it out day-and-date would have been the shot in the arm 3D desperately needs right now, but when the 3D discs DON'T show up in stores alongside the lousy 2D copies, more people will just assume that home 3D is DEAD. Regardless, I don't buy 2D editions of 3D movies, and won't be buying this until it's released in 3D. If that ends up not happening, I just won't have it at all.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Robert,

I don't blame you.

Most people are going to do exactly what Disney had hoped they would do -- double dip.

I have no doubt that the reason why the 3D release was delayed is due to the popularity of this release. Disney quickly figured out (as Fox and LucasFilm has done in the past) that they could milk the heck out of this franchise. It's all about multiple releases and multiple purchases. The fans who want the film now (which is just about everybody) are going to buy it day one. Those very, very few who have the ability to exercise patience (like yourself) will wait for the eventual 3D release. Of course, there is speculation that will never happen, but taking into account everything I just said, I believe it will.

Yup, that would be me as I gave in and got SWTFA from DMC on a special members only deal ( for whatever that's worth). But I also ordered up 4 other DMC Blu titles (and one Duck Tales DVD) at the special big discount prices.

The TFA Blu will have to do till Disney gets around to a UHD Blu release at which point I'll probably double dip (and I did chat up DMC online customer service about that and 3 other Disney titles waiting on a Blu release. That and more Donald Duck/Duck Tales releases onto Blu).
Looking forward to this on the 70 ( at kinda close viewing range).

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Thank you for the review, Ron. I look forward to next week's release.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
No double-dip here - Disney is getting my money only once - with THIS release.

I don't do 3D, so...

IF a double-dip ever happens, it will be whenever a higher res version is release and after I get a display to show it. Barring winning the lottery, that could be years from now.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If there's a release with a commentary and a feature length doc at some point, I might be persuaded to double dip.

As it stands, I'll probably be satisfied with my Amazon preorder tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks