What's new

3D Turning The Spotlight On.....Harlock: Space Pirate (3D Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
HarlockSpacePirate_BD_HighRes2__67307.1447443513.1280.1280.png

Received this rather quickly from TwilightTimeMovies.com. One of those films that I really had no particular interest in watching other than the fact I try to get my hands on as much 3D fare as I can.

Having watched Harlock: Space Pirate this morning, I must say I am somewhat impressed. Normally, this is not the kind of film I would spend this much time with, but I walked away from this CG sci-fi fantasy with new found respect for the craft.

While I can't say I completely loved the story, there's no doubt that Harlock: Space Pirate is a truly epic, engaging space opera that dazzles the viewer with enormous, beautifully-animated space battles that look spectacular in 3D.

space-pirate-captain-harlock-5373c28b1d969.jpg

In fact, it was mostly the film's spectacular CG animation and seemingly limitless 3D depth that kept me completely engaged from beginning to end. In fact, the animation is so good, I found myself forgetting that I was even watching CGI.

Alas, it's the story that sometimes detracted from the splendor of the film. For a film that is so beautifully rendered, the narrative just seems rather mediocre.

The film's transfer is simply incredible -- as you would expect from something created totally in the digital realm. Details and colors are stunning. The spacing and layering of objects offer many WOW moments. This is one of the few animated films I have seen that I could sense the priority 3D was given to its presentation.

All that being said, gimmickry is held to a minimal here. There isn't any "In Yo' Face" kind of pop-out, but there are quite a few moments where objects gently protrude forward for minimal outward effect.

The 5.1 DTS-HD MA track is enveloping, with effects nicely spread through the surrounds. What seems to be a bit lacking is LFE support. This is not a particularly "boomy" sounding presentation.

If you are like me, and not particularly a fan of anime, there is still much to like about Harlock: Space Pirate. Visually, it's an immensely breathtaking production. If you are not drawn into its story, you certainly will be captivated by its visuals.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in collecting the very best 3D titles available on Blu-ray.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It's certainly spectacular but the story is fairly routine as I recall.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks for the review Ron.

Not being familiar with CG sci-fi fantasy genre, the stimulating visuals describing what - "dazzles the viewer with enormous, beautifully-animated space battles that look spectacular in 3D.........seemingly limitless 3D depth that kept me completely engaged from beginning to end" - is what really peaks my interest and raises all excitement. :)

The fact that Twilight Time made an effort to make this available to the U.S. market as a unique "English friendly" 3D version, made me want to support the endeavor.

Looking forward to this now and "Spectacular in 3D" will be icing on my cake!

GregK

Screenwriter
Looks like some amazing visuals there. Thanks for the informative review and linking the trailer, Ron. ...May have to check this one out!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Did you guys watch the Japanese or English language version? Feeling conflicted here...subtitles in 3D usually bug my eyes, but watching dubbed movies usually isn't my first choice either. I'm leaning towards the English version - hopefully the animation makes the dubbing less obvious than live action, and this way my eyes won't be killing me by the end of it.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I agree with Josh, subtitles in 3D are really make a film almost impossible to set through. I'll take bad dubbing any day.

EVERRET

Auditioning
Real Name
Everret ONeal
I received and watched this today , The review is spot on ...... the visuals with the 3D are spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks