Turning subwoofer on and of rather than using standby...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ben We, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Ben We

Ben We Extra

I have a JBL PSW-D112 subwoofer. It seems to have trouble going into standby. It makes a low tapping sound.

I was thinking that rather than paying alot to fix whatever it may be, since the sub works fine for what it is supposed to, that I would just turn it on and off to use it, rather than letting it go into standby.

I would plug the sub into the electrical outlet in the back of my receiver so that it would only go on when the receiver is on.

Are there any forseeable problems with doing this, would it put alot of stress on the sub to turn it off and on all of the time?

Thanks alot,
    Ben

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I wouldn't use the outlet on the back of the receiver for something like a sub - I think your receiver manual should say something about its load capacity. If I had the problem I'd probably plug the sub into a surge suppressor and turn it on/off from there.

I have used the receiver outlet before, but only for something trival like a cabinet light.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ben,

It could be that the sub’s input is set to high, making it overly sensitive. Try reducing the level at the sub, and turn up the receiver’s sub output to compensate.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Ben We

Ben We Extra

From what I have heard, the problem is somewhat common with the sub I have. It is a problem with the Amp.

My first question is whether it would be okay to turn the sub on and off rather than letting it go into standby.

My second question is whether it would be okay plugged into the receiver, a sony str-de935. Thanks, Cameron, I will have to check the load capacity of the receiver outlet.

Thanks,
    Ben

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have my sub plugged into a switched outlet. A beefy power conditioner, not a receiver. [​IMG] It makes a small thump when it turns on and off, but it works...

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ben,

I urge you to try Wayne P's suggestion of backing off the sub amp gain control several notches and boosting the SWFR Level on your receiver to compensate (even tho this may force you to recalibrate the speaker/sub balance reference level again).

If this works, that is, holds the Standby and Auto-On features properly, you can avoid using the receiver switched outlet.

The rcvr switched outlet usually is rated to 100Watts, and a sub amp cud easily hit or exceed this load. The rcvr outlet internal wiring as well as the rcvr's primary AC cord are designed for this specific smaller load. Overloading can result in the switched outlet relay fusing. You wudn't want that....

bill

7. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Both my subs take 15, 20 maybe 30 minutes to power down into standby after main system shutdown. Is this what your talking about? Can't say exactly how long it takes because I don't pay any attention to it. The time a sub takes to go into standby mode probably varies between sub brands or even sources selected at the receiver or pre. Maybe I've mis-understood your question, if so, disregard. Best of luck, Jack

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Also there isn't a lot of difference between what a sub plate amp draws in standby vs on but outputting nothing. In the case of my Adire AVA250 plate amp I worked it out to about $8CDN a year from the info they gave me on it's current draw in standby vs on with no signal.

9. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

M.D.

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Ben, I have the JBL PB10. I don't have any problem w/ the standby working nor do I hear a tapping. However, I didn't want to look at those 2 idiotic red lights all the time in my living room. I first asked Sony if I could plug the sub into my STR-DE545 outlet. They said no - period. So, I went to a hardware store and bought a short extension cord w/ a switch on a cable. The sub is plugged into the extension cord which is plugged into a power conditioner. The cable comes back to the sub & the switch is attached to the back of the sub w/ a velcro thingy. So, when I won't be using the sub for a while, I just reach behind the sub & switch it off. It's worked fine for about 2 years.

11. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I will say, NO do NOT plug it into your receiver. You should be fine turning it off and on though, no problems there.

12. Ben We

Ben We Extra

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am still trying to decide exactly what to do.

Doug- With your setup, does the sub go on when you turn the receiver on or do you still have to flip the switch on the sub?

Bill and Wayne- I am not understanding what you guys are suggesting. How would I go about doing that on my sub, a psw-d112 http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Ow...ual/PSWD112%20(NEW%20VERSION)%20om.pdf and a sony str-de935 receiver.

Thanks again,
    Ben

13. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ben,

We are talking about how to calibrate your SUB output level to balance with the front stage and rear spkrs in a 5.1 system. Perhaps you have not got to this, or set levels by ear, in which case the SUB undoubtedly is dialed too hot on its gain control.

It's hard to proceed further here without knowing where you are at in terms of being able to balance the speakers with test tones and the RadioShack Sound Presure Level meter.

Using the test tones, perhaps yr rcvr has em built-in, the individual spkrs, incl SUB are raised or lowered in increments via the Speaker Set-Up procedure from the manual and using the remote. One of these modes is SWFR LEVEL, and typically ranges a 20dB scale. In the endyou want this set somewhere in the middle, not the extremes. ame for the sub amp.

Using a SUBOUT cable from the rcvr to the SUB, you will rely on the Sony amp's crossover circuit, so the sub's needs to be turned off or its crossover dial set to the highest reading, around 140Hz.

bill

14. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I have a somewhat related, yet somewhat unrelated question. I have a Mirage BPS-400 sub that doesn't have an on/off switch. All it has is an input sensing auto-on feature (more of a drawback than a feature), that happens to turn itself OFF much too easily.

I have the sub-out from my receiver split with a y cable into both inputs on the sub, and the sub level on my receiver is set to -2.5dB (I like to have some control, up or down a little for changing on the fly). Is there anything I can do to remedy this problem. When listening at normal conversation levels or as background music, this thing turns off all-too easily.

15. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

No easy answer, Nick.

The Yamahas put out a 4V maximum signal at the SUBOUT., and from many reports, this SWFR LEVEL signal is strong around -12dB. Mine actually is calibrated at -16.5dB. So you've got it plenty strong at -2.5dB where it tops at 0dB.

Plus you've boosted the sub input via a y-splitter, which usually is suggested when AUTO-On features are wimpy.

So barring internal problems in the Mirage, perhaps your sub cable is loose at one RCA connector or the other and attenuating the signal.

Just brainstorming here...

bill

16. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Ben wrote:

17. Ben We

Ben We Extra

I turned up the high gain knob on the back of the sub and it seemed to fix the problem, thanks for all of the advice.
    Ben