1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Turning pillar boxing from gray to black? (Sony)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ottis Fletcher, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I have KP-46WT500 and have heard of people turning the gray pillar boxing to black. Through my HDTV receiver it put's black bars on the side and looks much better then gray. I do know that gray is the most neutral color on the spectrum and reduces the chances of burn in, but seeing how I don't use pillar boxing much I'm not worried about it. Does anyone know if it can be done and if so how? I looked around the service menu but didn't want to play with the settings until I know a little more about doing this.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Ottis I don’t know about this specific model—but of the Sony models with which I am familiar, you can only turn the borders to gray via an external source such as a satellite receiver.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I'm not aware of any recent 16x9 TVs that offer black side bars--maybe somebody else does--and doubt your Sony can do it although I could be wrong. What some people do is use hard mattes to hide the grey side bars. Others like me try to go w/ source components that offer black side bars.

Are you talking about DVD specifically? You could get a player that offers a 4x3 shrink/pillarbox mode that provides black side bars. There are a fair number of players that can do this, including the JVC's, new Panny's (and the old RP91), the Tosh's, some Denon's like the new 2900, the Philips 963sa, etc.

_Man_

4. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I'm talking about the TV itself. When I'm watching older movies on digital cable I would prefer not to stretch them, I really don't care if I distort TV shows most of the new ones I watch are on in wide screen HDTV anyway. Gray pillar boxing is somewhat an eye sore IMO compared to black. If it can be done great, if not I really don't care because it's not that big of a deal to me.

I have thought about making hard mattes but never got around to it.