Turning pillar boxing from gray to black? (Sony)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ottis Fletcher, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I have KP-46WT500 and have heard of people turning the gray pillar boxing to black. Through my HDTV receiver it put's black bars on the side and looks much better then gray. I do know that gray is the most neutral color on the spectrum and reduces the chances of burn in, but seeing how I don't use pillar boxing much I'm not worried about it. Does anyone know if it can be done and if so how? I looked around the service menu but didn't want to play with the settings until I know a little more about doing this.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Ottis I don’t know about this specific model—but of the Sony models with which I am familiar, you can only turn the borders to gray via an external source such as a satellite receiver.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I'm not aware of any recent 16x9 TVs that offer black side bars--maybe somebody else does--and doubt your Sony can do it although I could be wrong. What some people do is use hard mattes to hide the grey side bars. Others like me try to go w/ source components that offer black side bars.

Are you talking about DVD specifically? You could get a player that offers a 4x3 shrink/pillarbox mode that provides black side bars. There are a fair number of players that can do this, including the JVC's, new Panny's (and the old RP91), the Tosh's, some Denon's like the new 2900, the Philips 963sa, etc.

_Man_

4. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I'm talking about the TV itself. When I'm watching older movies on digital cable I would prefer not to stretch them, I really don't care if I distort TV shows most of the new ones I watch are on in wide screen HDTV anyway. Gray pillar boxing is somewhat an eye sore IMO compared to black. If it can be done great, if not I really don't care because it's not that big of a deal to me.

I have thought about making hard mattes but never got around to it.