Turning over a "new leaf" in regards to Special Edition DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I've been buying DVDs for almost two years and own close to 90. I have a very nice home theater set-up and am a big HT fan.
    However, I refuse to buy ANY new "Special" or "Ultimate" or "Director" or "Collector's" edition of a DVD I own unless there is a MAJOR, SUBSTANTIAL increase in video and audio quality. Being a capitalist, I find nothing ethically wrong with studios re-releasing certain movies on DVD (such as American Pie, as of late) but I will not be buying any new re-release if there is only a slight improvement in quality (I'm not one big on extras - although they're OK - that won't be enough to sway me.) Now, don't get me wrong, there are some titles I own which I hope will be re-released at a MUCH higher quality (Tombstone comes to mind) but I regret having spent money having replaced my original Donnie Brasco, for example, and a couple others. All of this points to the new SuperBit DVDs being released. Just how much better, if any, are these really going to be? If they are 5-10% better than the original release, are they worth purchasing? That's for you to decide. For me, the answer is clear. I'm not going to fall into the trap. I just don't think it's worth the money. Has anyone else out there been thinking this way?

2. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

Oh, I whole-heartedly agree.
    Even though I only own around 15 titles, I'm not really one to go out and buy new "Ultimate" versions of titles that don't really improve from the original a whole lot. As you say, there are exceptions. I own the original Tron DVD, but I look forward to the new Tron SE coming out in January. I don't own a copy of American Pie, but comparing the special features between the old and new, there's not much on the new 2-disc set that would make me want to rush out and buy it if I had the original DVD. I suppose if I was a hardcore fan of the movie and was dying to see everything that went into making the movie, then maybe buying the upgrade would be justified. Lucky for me, I don't own the movie (yet), and I now can pick the cream of the crop when I decide to pick it up.
    Ryan

3. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

I've actually decided not to buy a few items at all in anticipation of a future SE, UE, or CE. Examples of this are The Princess Bride and T2. I own T2:UE, and I am very happy that I bought that one, and I am even more happy that I didn't have to buy the same movie twice just for some new extra bells and whistles.
    Dave,
    I definitely agree. I just wait longer for the version I want to come to market.