Turning old speakers into a DIY sub.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RyanHud, Jan 2, 2006.

1. RyanHud

RyanHud Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, hope you had a safe and happy holidays.
    Ok here goes. Im 19 years old and I love quality sound. My set up consisted of just a panny SAXR-50 and a pair of cerwin vega AT-12's. I recently pulled the trigger on the Athena micra-6 system on sale for $299CAD. Im happy with the sound of the sattelites, but the subwoofer just isnt cutting it. Now my intentions were to try and sell my AT-12's after i bought the micras and wait for a year or so until I got bitten by the upgrade bug. Well while i was sittin here breakin in the new system with a few scenes from LOTR when the thought popped in my head. Would it be worth it to turn the AT's into some kind of DIY subwoofer? I know i would have to buy an amp and whatnot, but id already have the 2 woofers and the materials for an enclosure. I have never done DIY before but im highly interested and I think this could be a good starting point. Im looking forward to, and I appreciate all the advice you fellow HT'ers have to offer.
    Thanks,
    --Ryan

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Here's the problem. The drivers in the AT are woofer not subwoofers. So they're designed to play higher to match the midrange, they're not to go low.

You'd be better off selling the entire system and using the cash to fund your subwoofer project

3. RyanHud

RyanHud Stunt Coordinator

Thank you. Now i feel like an idiot, i dont know why I didn't even consider that haha. I just figured since they are 12" woofers they would work. Ah well, thanks again however.

4. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Ryan, you could do like I did and just leave the Vegas in as your main L & R channels and have them set to "large" for a little while, if you really feel you need the bass. Then in a little while you can put together the money to get your sub project going.

Actually IIRC, Parts Express has a pretty decent 10" sub that was on sale for around $100.00, which you should be able to get for the sale of the Vegas.

5. Scott_Vonhof

Scott_Vonhof Agent

Ryan, if you wanted to experament a little, you could simply get a subwoofer amp and use that to power your cerwin vega AT-12's as are, no modifications, but only sending it the LFE channel of audio. If nothing else, you will get some bass until you get a decent sub going. It won't go as low as a real sub will, but it would be better than nothing.

This is especially a good idea if you are thinking of doing a DIY sub, since you will already have an amp for it...

6. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Save a little money and buy a real subwoofer driver. Here's what I did:

My Subwoofer

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ryan,

Don’t know if you’re still watching this thread or not, but using the Cerwin Vegas for subs might not be a bad idea in your situation.

I looked up a test that Home Theater magazine did a while back on your Athenas, and the sub is an 75-watt 8-incher. According to their response charts, the sub gets down to 40 Hz, and falls like a brick below that.

The Vegas have big woofs, but those speakers are designed to play loud, not low. Still, they should be able to get down to 40-50 Hz with no problem. In other words, they should have extension similar to your sub.

What you might do is get an old stereo receiver from a pawn shop for cheap to power the Vegas, if you can’t beg or borrow one from your dad or a friend. You could split your A/V receiver’s sub output and send one side to the Athena sub, and the other side to the stereo receiver, which the Vegas would be connected to. Stack them both in a corner for added extension and output. Like I said, the Vegas have really high output, so the stereo receiver doesn’t need more than 40-50 watts per channel to totally swamp the Athena sub. [​IMG]. You could use the stereo receiver’s bass and/or loudness controls to help extension.

Is this an ideal set up? No. But in your situation it’s worth a shot. I suspect you’re not happy with your bass because your room is too large for the Athenas. If that’s the case, adding extra drivers can take up the slack.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i did this with a old sony recever and a set of klh 3 ways with 12 and a 12 pr. ot worked good till i bult my first diy sub dual av 15 but i wanted/ needed more so i went over the top and bult my ultimate ht sub of 4 ava 18 subs in ib