What's new

Turning OFF Dolby Digital? (1 Viewer)

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Is it common for a HT receiver to require that you have to get up and press an button on the receiver to turn OFF Dolby Digital?

I have just a received Panasonic SAHE100 for Christmas, it performs okay and sounds good but I note that when watching a movie in Dolby Digital via my satellite dish or DVR , I have to manually press the Dolby Digital button. If I then want to switch to a channel that is in surround sound but not Dolby Digital the remore control has no button that will accomplish the task. I guess getting of my lazy tush would do no harm to my health but just wondering if this is common for other receivers?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I don't know your receiver, but IMHO, this should be done automatically with no user intervention required.

Is the Panny an older model? EDIT: Duh! You got it for Christmas!

My NAD 762, when receiving a digital input automatically detects what format to use. If its DD, its selects DD 5.1, if its DD 2.0, it invokes PL II.

I agree with your views that this is a PITA.

BGL

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, I'll check at the store to see if the model on display automatically detects the source and switches.

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Duh ! (thats one of several "duhs" while I educate my self on this stuff).

I had the satellite receiver set-up as "Dolby Digital" only. Thus its digital output was passing Dolby only signals. I changed the set-up to "Dolby Digital and PCM" (whatever that is) and all is fine now.

Thanks, you told me what is normal and I was put on the right trouble shooting track

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks