Turning OFF Dolby Digital?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andrew O'Brien, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Is it common for a HT receiver to require that you have to get up and press an button on the receiver to turn OFF Dolby Digital?

I have just a received Panasonic SAHE100 for Christmas, it performs okay and sounds good but I note that when watching a movie in Dolby Digital via my satellite dish or DVR , I have to manually press the Dolby Digital button. If I then want to switch to a channel that is in surround sound but not Dolby Digital the remore control has no button that will accomplish the task. I guess getting of my lazy tush would do no harm to my health but just wondering if this is common for other receivers?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I don't know your receiver, but IMHO, this should be done automatically with no user intervention required.

Is the Panny an older model? EDIT: Duh! You got it for Christmas!

My NAD 762, when receiving a digital input automatically detects what format to use. If its DD, its selects DD 5.1, if its DD 2.0, it invokes PL II.

I agree with your views that this is a PITA.

BGL

3. Andrew O'Brien

Thanks for the info, I'll check at the store to see if the model on display automatically detects the source and switches.

4. Andrew O'Brien

Duh ! (thats one of several "duhs" while I educate my self on this stuff).

I had the satellite receiver set-up as "Dolby Digital" only. Thus its digital output was passing Dolby only signals. I changed the set-up to "Dolby Digital and PCM" (whatever that is) and all is fine now.

Thanks, you told me what is normal and I was put on the right trouble shooting track