Turning J6P into a believer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinM, Jan 15, 2002.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

My buddy Nick got a Sony HTIB 5 years ago and still thought his VHS driven experience was right up there. I was nagging him to upgrade, and without following my advice he ran out and bought a Sony DD rec. from BB. SPRING CLIPS??? No AC outlets???

arrrgh

So I brought over my spare sub and some Polk wedgie's for surround to back up his Boston CR6's. While at BB he got a Sony (ugh) center. It's actually not too bad, but it's bright and tizzy compared to yada yada yada...

His 6 year old 25" zenith was so out of whack that VE's contrast tests made the screen bloom into yellowish hues. After a half hour of fighting the menus I got as close to right as I could.

Audio was easier. 15 minutes of messing around and we were ready to go.

I brought him my Sony DVP-300 from way back in '97 (I'm an early adopter on a budget). Off we went, through U-571, Matrix, and Toy Story 2. He crapped his pants! Reference level in your living room will do that to ya. (OK, 100db peaks, but he's got NO carpet and hardly any furniture.)

At first he only wanted to use the Sony bandpass sub from that HTIB, since he really didn't want to shell out the $75 I wanted for the 10" 120 watter I brought along. So, I hooked them BOTH up at the same time, side by side tight up in a corner. Re-cal'd to 75db across the board and even I was impressed, and I have the SV 20*39.

Needless to say, he want's me to hook him up with a DVD player, and he wrote me a check on-the-spot for the Polk's and the sub.

Warms my heart.

Anyone else have a story about sending a buddy down the road of HT?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes, but did you also explain the benefits ow widescreen to him and his future avoidance of pan&scan?

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

His head was spinning after describing the diff between the characteristics of DD surround and DPL surround.

When he wanted advice on what DVD to get, I asked him what his future TV upgrade plans were. P-scan, I was thinking to myself....He had no intention of upgrading the set.

I have a feeling that will change.....

- CM

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    I proselytized about the benefits of DVD (widescreen, Dolby Digital/DTS, higher resolution, anamorphic). Two former co-workers from two former jobs made the plunge, and haven't looked back since. Their VCRs are collecting dust, and they at first didn't think they needed DVD.

My brother convinced one of his friends, a self-avowed cheapskate, to get a Dolby Digital-capable receiver and a set of (now-discontinued) Optimus LX5s. My brother's miserly friend has no regrets whatsoever about the upgrade...