Turner Classic Movie on DIRECTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave B Ferris, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

For the past few weeks, I've encountered fairly noticeable picture degradation on TCM -- oddly, the other channels seem to still be o.k. The degradation includes the type of speckling common to old movies -- except the speckles now seem to appear even during Robert Osborne's introductions!

Anybody else having problems with TCM?

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    No I have not noticed this and I have been watching a lot of TCM lately. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Today while I was watching the Billy Wilder film One, Two, Three, I did notice little white specks in the picture and in the black bands of the letterboxed presentation. [​IMG]

4. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

Brian, thanks for the update. In a strange way, I'm glad you are seeing the same degradation, because it suggests the problem is global, rather than specifically related to my receiver, or my dish (i.e., lnb), or my cabling-run, etc.

With your added information, maybe I'll call DIRECTV after I get home from work tonight.

By the way, I watched 'One Tow Three' also. I was especially interested, however, in Robert Osborne's comments, immediately after the film, about how much Cagney disliked the experience of working with Wilder. In fact as Osborne told the story, that's why Cagney retired (unitl 'Ragtime', many years later).