What's new

Turner’s FilmStruck Adds Warner Bros. Classic Films, As Warner Archive Service Winds Down (1 Viewer)

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Only works with 4th gen and later (ie, the ATV's currently in production that have access to the TVOS app store).

I looked at the FilmStruck site and am DEFINITELY interested in signing up! It shows compatibility with AppleTV, but I don't see FilmStruck on my AppleTV home screen (3rd gen). Any knowledge of how to get it on there?

I think it will only work with the newer Apple TV models that allow you to download apps.

Yes, it works on the apple tv with the app store. I use Film Struck on mine.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Anyone know what the lag time is between Criterion disk release and showing up on FilmStruck?

I've been waiting patiently for The Breaking Point to show up, since it has been out on disk for more than six months, but no dice, yet.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
my guess is disc rights vs. stream rights are negotiated separately... but i dont have a subscription to check all disc releases vs. stream releases. but it's very common on amazon prime, netflix, hulus of the world.

Anyone know what the lag time is between Criterion disk release and showing up on FilmStruck?

I've been waiting patiently for The Breaking Point to show up, since it has been out on disk for more than six months, but no dice, yet.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have 365 titles on my queue, and these are titles that are mostly new to me! But one has to be very careful because titles are dropped and added every month.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
my guess is disc rights vs. stream rights are negotiated separately... but i dont have a subscription to check all disc releases vs. stream releases. but it's very common on amazon prime, netflix, hulus of the world.

Yes but in this case, one might think that advertising Criterion as part of FilmStruck would mean they are now negotiating for the combination, perhaps with a cynical staggered release approach to optimize both revenue streams.

So far, no such luck -- or at least nothing consistent.

I have 365 titles on my queue, and these are titles that are mostly new to me! But one has to be very careful because titles are dropped and added every month.

I thought with the higher tier plan they didn't play those games of false scarcity?

I was a subscriber for the first year, but found it was fine if I didn't want to see a particular movie (ie, just browse and be happy for random coincidence, kind of like channel surfing) but was not a feasible way to enjoy what Criterion does (ie, I still needed to rent most titles separate from the service if it was a restoration from the past few years since they didn't appear on the service).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
thats probably all stream models not just criterion its an indistry wide thing.

Yes but in this case, one might think that advertising Criterion as part of FilmStruck would mean they are now negotiating for the combination, perhaps with a cynical staggered release approach to optimize both revenue streams.

So far, no such luck -- or at least nothing consistent.

I thought with the higher tier plan they didn't play those games of false scarcity?

I was a subscriber for the first year, but found it was fine if I didn't want to see a particular movie (ie, just browse and be happy for random coincidence, kind of like channel surfing) but was not a feasible way to enjoy what Criterion does (ie, I still needed to rent most titles separate from the service if it was a restoration from the past few years since they didn't appear on the service).

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

I'm not sure I follow. Are you stating that the Criterion films on the service aren't the most recent restorations? Sorry, it's been a rough work week.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
No (well, that's a whole other discussion). I'm saying the recent restorations aren't even present on FilmStruck in many cases -- as in the film itself is not on FilmStruck. Example: The Breaking Point, which came out on Criterion Blu Ray last summer, but is not present on FilmStruck. (The Breaking Point (1950) - The Criterion Collection)

(The quality question is interesting for a separate reason. Look at the Filmstruck version of League of Gentlemen (The League of Gentlemen (1960) - The Criterion Collection) and compare it with the version on iTunes. They appear to be sourced from the same restoration -- yeah! -- but the Filmstruck version has so much sharpening compression artifact noise, it is a travesty, imo. The iTunes version is clear and full of real yummy film grain and no video noise -- basically as good as a physical Criterion Blu-Ray and better, imo, than the Criterion DVD. But someone at FilmStruck must have been adjusting masters for web delivery and thought they were improving it or something.)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am hoping, as this evolves, that FilmStruck will have as many lesser known titles from the 20s, 30s and 40s, as the Warner site has had. Of course I love Casablanca, Virginia Wolf, The Music Man et al, but I subscribed for an opportunity to see the lesser known titles that I have never seen and have not been available on home video.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am hoping, as this evolves, that FilmStruck will have as many lesser known titles from the 20s, 30s and 40s, as the Warner site has had. Of course I love Casablanca, Virginia Wolf, The Music Man et al, but I subscribed for an opportunity to see the lesser known titles that I have never seen and have not been available on home video.
Yesterday, I watched "Eyes in the Night", Fred Zinnerman's feature film directing debut. This morning, it was "Grand Central Murder". Both obscure crime films from the early 1940's.

It makes marketing sense to promote big titles right now and salt and pepper lesser known films with those type of films.

mark-edk

Second Unit
While poking around the iTunes store I found a 'Warner Archive' section tucked into the 'classic' genre of films. This offered a selection of Warner titles arranged by decades for purchase as downloads. There were also about a dozen tv seasons; none of the classic 60s detective shows but Maverick and UNCLE were there which may offer hope for 77 Sunset Strip and its brethren.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just listened to a podcast with Ben Mankiewicz. He said initially there was meant to be great separation between TCM and FilmStruck, but those walls are coming down. The plan is for over 1,000 TCM titles to be on the service, with a batch being added every month as they record intros/outros for them.

Last edited:

mark-edk

Second Unit
Statement from WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey Announcing Plans for Direct-to-Consumer Streaming Service
October 10, 2018 01:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time
“Today we announced plans to launch a new direct-to-consumer streaming service in the fourth quarter of 2019. This is another benefit of the AT&T/Time Warner merger, and we are committed to launching a compelling and competitive product that will serve as a complement to our existing businesses and help us to expand our reach by offering a new choice for entertainment with the WarnerMedia collection of films, television series, libraries, documentaries and animation loved by consumers around the world. We expect to create such a compelling product that it will help distributors increase consumer penetration of their current packages and help us successfully reach more customers.”

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Statement from WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey Announcing Plans for Direct-to-Consumer Streaming Service
October 10, 2018 01:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time
“Today we announced plans to launch a new direct-to-consumer streaming service in the fourth quarter of 2019. This is another benefit of the AT&T/Time Warner merger, and we are committed to launching a compelling and competitive product that will serve as a complement to our existing businesses and help us to expand our reach by offering a new choice for entertainment with the WarnerMedia collection of films, television series, libraries, documentaries and animation loved by consumers around the world. We expect to create such a compelling product that it will help distributors increase consumer penetration of their current packages and help us successfully reach more customers.”

So does this mean Warner will be pulling titles from Filmstruck now and dissolving their relationship?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bad news! Filmstruck is being shut down on November 29th. Here's the announcement from Criterion that I received this morning:

News About FilmStruck
We have some sad news to share: earlier this morning, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced plans to shut down FilmStruck, the streaming service that has been our happy home for the last two years. Like many of you, we are disappointed by this decision. When we launched the Criterion Channel in 2016, we had two goals: to ensure that our entire streaming library remained available, and to address our audience in our own voice. We’re proud of the work we’ve done, bringing curated programming and the full range of supplemental features to the streaming space, championing a diverse array of filmmakers from beyond our collection and creating original content that invites you into exciting conversations about cinema culture.

All this is very new, and we’ll be sure to keep you updated as we learn more details. But rest assured that we are still committed to restoring and preserving the best of world cinema and bringing it to you in any medium we can. In the weeks ahead, we’ll keep you informed about the great programming you can watch on the Channel before it shuts down on November 29, and we’ll be trying to find ways we can bring our library and original content back to the digital space as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who enjoyed FilmStruck, and we hope you’ll join us as we look forward to what the future brings.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
why kill it before the stream library can land something?

at least when it migrated from hulu you can tell customers where it will live.

this is stupid PR. isn't it better to defer customers to something else... than to shut it down together?

it's gotta have made some $ right?

if not... then i fear niche film products... is gonna slowly disappear and rot away in canisters all over the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks