TurboTax (on CD) is BAD NEWS!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Do not use TurboTax (on CD)!!!!

Read the scathing reviews of this product.

"TurboTax online" is a better choice if you want to stick with TurboTax, otherwise, look elsewhere, like TaxCut, TaxAct or something else.

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I was a little hesitant on using it after hearing some bad stories but I just installed it a few days ago and already did my taxes. Not a single problem. My folks even installed theirs without any problems and their computer is an old Pentium 233 with 40 megs of RAM.

Jeff

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I used this this year and had no problem doing my taxes or the taxes of five other people with it. And no activation code on the Mac version either. [​IMG]

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Does TurboTax really install spyware on your computer as alleged by many of the reviews?

5. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

No trouble with my copy (TT Deluxe) with a pretty complex return (IRA early withdrawal/Capitol losses/a wide variety of other deductions).

I installed from the mailer version rather than retail.

6. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You know I wouldnt mind that Turbo Tax runs an activation like Microsoft but the Macrovision just went too far IMHO. Why would I want to install spyware on purpose? I think that they will lose a fair amount of business this year but I dont know if they will lose enough to make them change their minds. They lost my business to Taxcut Platinum home/business and it was almost exactly the same as TurboTax. It imported my Turbotax information from last year without a problem and was a breeze to answer all the questions and fill out the forms for both my business and for myself. I even got the state and efile for free with rebate for them and All for $30 less then TurboTax. Very clear choice IMO [​IMG]

KyleS

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

just as long as i can remove the spyware after I get my return I'll be happy.

9. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

this scary warning is assuming you run Windows?

10. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I've just finished preparing my taxes with TaxCut for the 2nd year in a row. The product is nice, but God help you if you need to call their "tech support..."

11. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

You may have good results with TurboTax now, but wait until you need to print another copy of your return a couple of years later, when you're running on a different machine from the one it was originally installed on.

All PC users with any sense should run away from vendors who use this type of copy protection. You're their customer, but they're convinced you're their enemy. Prove them right.

12. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

What exactly is this "spyware" and what does it do?

13. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    In short, spyware is a program that is installed without the user's knowledge or permission. It tends to gather user information and makes unauthorized connections to web sites to upload information it has collected about your computer. Often, there is no uninstall option if you do find out about it, and it will remain on your computer even after uninstalling the program that it came with.

More info here and here.

In Turbo Tax's case, it installed C-Dilla without any notice that it was going to. C-Dilla is by macrovision and it is a copy protection program that is part of Intuit's product activation process with Turbo Tax. Once C-Dilla is installed, it runs at your computer start up and monitors your computer. It's been reported that it disables CD burners, opens back channels to report information to home, and has caused many computer crash. No uninstall was available until recently, but questions remain if it completely cleaned from your system. Also, if C-Dilla is removed, your copy of Turbo Tax will not work.

In general, spyware adds additional running processes at startup, reducing the amount of memory and resources available to you. This can result in the computer reacting sluggish to your input. Spyware uses some of your bandwidth to "phone home" so your down load speed is affected. Many spyware programs are poorly written and can make your system less stable resulting in erratic behavior and even computer crashes.

There is another group known as "dialers" that change your modem settings, so you call an international number instead of a local one to your ISP. Most people find out about this when they get an expensive phone bill with lots of calls to another country, like Chad or Moldova.

There are two programs that scan your system for spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware . Both work similar to antivirus programs by scanning your system for problems. You may well be surprised by what they find.

14. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I've used TurboTax for a few years. If I switched to the online version, could I upload my last year's information to streamline the process?

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It would seem illegal for them to put software on your computer that cannot be uninstalled, right? If so, I'd say a class-action lawsuit is in order (and I'm the last person to ever suggest legal remedies, believe me).

Perhaps this is being overblown, but it sickens me that this C-Dilla crap is possibly infecting my new computer. I've been a loyal user of TT for years, and I didn't mind that they took some action to prevent piracy (I think we all know people who've shared TT) but this sounds unconscionable.

16. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Man, am I glad I switched to Tax Cut last year!!! I switched because it ran under Mac OS X, while TurboTax (aka MacInTax) did not...

Any company that treats its customers as criminals does not deserve to have any customers...

Ted

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Thank you for that information, looks like I'll be using TaxCut this year instead then.

18. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

While I dislike TurboTax's new copy protection methods, there is a lot of overreaction and misinformation about what C-Dilla is doing.

For one thing, Safedisc (C-Dilla) can be installed using a wide variety of options. While its true that in its full blown form the company says it can monitor hardware usage and lock CD-burners, none of these options were installed with TurboTax, and I've yet to see one report of anyone actually analyzing the program that it is doing so.

This is not to excuse TurboTax from putting software on a computer without warning and failing to remove it with the rest of the program. However while the C-Dilla software is set in licence mode, its not acting as spyware (although it will be identified as such by many programs).

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Danny, there were several comments on Amazon from people with computers where the CD-burner stopped working after they installed TurboTax. Maybe they're wrong and it was because of something else, but I'm not gonna take the chance.

20. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer