Tupac: Resurrection - Did nobody see this?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Gregg Shiu, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I only started this thread because I already did a search on a review or discussion thread and none came up. I just got back from seeing this documentary detailing much of the life of rap icon Tupac Shakur. First and foremost, I'm not a biased moviewatcher in that I don't have posters of Tupac on my wall, Thug Life tattoos covering my body, etc., but I thought it was extremely well done and gave a fresh view to the artist which some people may not be familar with. I went in with pretty high expectations considering the reviews I'd read and since the subject matter is one of the rappers I hold in highest regards. I'd have to agree with Roger Ebert in that this is the "rap documentary" for even the people who do not like rap. It focused a lot on Tupac Shakur's life, influences, music, an ultimately, his goals and views of what he wanted for the world and the community. If there's anyone who's on the fence about seeing it, I'd highly recommend it. For anyone who's a fan of Tupac, It only serves to bolster a lot of his character and edify the personality he wanted people to remember. [​IMG]

2. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I agree - i saw the movie this week and was very entertained by it. I've always wondered why tupac was so well-loved by much of the hip-hop nation, and the film does a good job of revealing the source of his charisma: his diverse childhood experiences enabled him to be all things to all people - intelligent social commentator, gangsta thug, ladies man, etc.

I recommend it highly.

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I live in whitey-ville so it isn't playing anywhere near me. I'm not going to drive an hour and a half to Davenport to see this, so I'll have to wait for the DVD.

4. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Yeah, I'm waiting for the DVD.

With all the other recent Tupac documentaries (seems like there's a million of them) I can't justify spending $8 to see Resurrection at the theaters, but I'll definitely give it a rent once it hits DVD.

5. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Does anyone know the name of the song they play at the beginning of the movie when they are showing Las Vegas, it sounds like it takes the beat from that Phil Collins song In the Air Tonight and than Tupac adds his own lyrics. Any ideas, I really enjoyed the movie and really enjoy this song from the movie. Thanks.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Anyone know how this compares to the TV documentary on Tupac that was playing on A&E a few months ago? The A&E show seemed to focus on the more negative aspects of his personality. I had the impression that he was, well, a "sh*t disturber"...with talent!

7. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Keith, the song that they play at the beginning of the movie and throughout it at certain points is called "Starin' thru my rear view."

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Thanks very much Greg, I fmanaged to find it right after I asked you all. I've only seen the beginning of this movie (it's playing at the theater I work at) and so far I think it looks really good and seems to provide an interesting view into what was (is??) maybe one of the 90's most interesting people. I plan on seeing the rest this weekend.

9. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I saw this last night and really liked it. I've been a fan of Tupac since shortly before he was shot, so none of the information was new to me, but it just re-afirms how intelligent and sensitive Tupac really was. Under different circumstances, I think he could've followed in the footsteps of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al. to be a leader for African-Americans...he was really that perceptive and intelligent. It's a shame we lost such a great talent so early, I think that as much as he said in his brief life, he had a lot left to say.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just as or better than biggie as far as the best lyricist rapper ever:

"I wanna take your misery, replace it with happiness but I need your faith in me"

"Your body is bangin' baby, I love the way you flaunt it. Now give it to daddy suga and tell me how you want it."

Brings a smile to my face just typing it. [​IMG] I listened to his music all throughout high school. Kinda reminds me of Outkast; a different type of talent that seems ahead of its time. Didn't see the movie (plan on Netflixing it) but good to hear that people that don't even listen to his music are enjoying it.

11. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I don't think he was as good a rapper as Biggie (or a lot of others for that matter), but he was perhaps the best lyricist, and a prolific one. Plus of course he had that unmatched personal magnetism.

12. Kim D

Kim D Stunt Coordinator

I'll get it once it's out on dvd. I only know Tupac from the movies. I've never listed to his music. I guess I'm too old to have ever gotten in to rap.

Gridlock'd is one of my favorite movies.

Every single time I watch the stabbing scene I laugh out loud. If you haven't seen the movie, that will be a strange comment and I urge you to see the film and see if you can stop yourself from laughing.

- kim

13. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

This finally opened near me. It's a terrific, unglamorizing, documentary and one of the year's most powerful films.

14. Brotha Cuz

Brotha Cuz Auditioning

Eirk Bhead
    Anyone can tell me the name of the song playing at 01:08:30? I recognize it like crazy from my youth years but it really bugs me not knowing what song it is.