What's new

Tuntable for $200 (1 Viewer)

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
My sister is looking to buy a turntable for her fiancee for xmas. As the title states, the price limit is around $200.
I have read the other two recent posts, but both talked about players outside of her price range.
Can a decent one be had for that little?
thanks
Geordy

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Go to www.jandr.com - search on "turntable" then click on "sony/home audio/turntable". I have something similar to the PS-LX350H, which is $199 with free shipping. They also have an automatic model for $99 which may also be fine as far as I know.
The other turntable link includes other brands, such as Technics though I don't know how these compare with Sony.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
In that price, new, there is only one choice: Technics. They have a couple low priced turntables I think in that price range.
Just my opinion, but I don't think you'll do better than Technics on the low end in a turntable. Make sure that his receiver has a "Phono" input or he'll also need a phono preamp - a very nice one can be had from Radio Shack for $35 or something like that.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
The RS phono stage is $25. And yes, if I were going on brand name alone, I'd probably pick Technics over Sony. If you're willing to buy a used 'table, then you could get much better quality - I think you might be able to find a Rega P2 or Music Hall MMF-2 in that price range. I could be wrong on this.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think you might be able to find a Rega P2 or Music Hall MMF-2 in that price range. I could be wrong on this.
I think you are. :) Also, for a gift it's nice to get something new in box instead of second hand.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Geordy, I bought the Sony PS-LX350H from Crutchfield a year ago for $200 and have been very happy with it. It's a fully manual turntable. The 'LX350H certainly isn't audiophile-quality, but it is a good turntable for the price. I use it every few days and haven't felt the need to upgrade the cartridge. It works great as is. One nice thing about the Sony is that it has detachable RCA and ground cables. Few turntables offer that. Hardwired cables obviously limit where you can place the turntable relative to your pre-amp, receiver, etc. The 'LX350H comes with 3-foot RCA and ground cables. Check www.crutchfield.com for more information on the 'LX350H, as it is a current model.
For around $250, your sister should be able to get a brand new Music Hall MMF-2.1. I have not used this turntable, but from what I have read, it outperforms the Sony. If the extra $50 isn't an issue, the MMF-2.1 could be the way to go. When I was in the market for a turntable last year, I hadn't heard of Music Hall. You should be able to find the MMF-2.1 at www.amusicdirect.com and www.elusivedisc.com . At their respecitive price points, I don't think you can go wrong with the Sony or Music Hall turntables.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks