1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tuning the SVS 2531 to 20-HZ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Of the many subs that I'm considering, the SVS 2531cs seems to be very attractive. Especially if it can be tuned to 20HZ. I'm aware I'd give up some output but I'm really interested in the bottom information.
    If anyone could assist me on this matter I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The 25-31cs can be tuned to about 22hz. The PC is set at 24.5-25hz.(cant be lowered).
    Re-tuning is a no cost option. In fact we get so many requests for 22hz 25-31s we stock them now [​IMG]
    TV

3. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

My 25-31 will be here on Wednesday..So will it or will it not reach 20hz?? I've read reviews that say it will. Will it bottom out and flap at anything under 25hz???? If so, I knew I shoulda went w/ the 20-39. I hope I won't be dissapointed. I also feel the 22hz option should be posted on the site, as I was not aware of that option/feature.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Andrew, if you're unhappy with the performance of the 25-31cs you have 45 days to return it. We can also send out a port for you to install(it takes about 2 minutes) that will lower your tuning down to 22hz if you want to try that out(although custom porting does cost $25(i think thats the price) after the subwoofer has shipped).
    In the typical room...a 25-31cs(tuned to 25hz) will offer strong output to the 20-23hz range so I think you'll be quote happy with it.
    TV

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I've listened to a 25-31 and a 20-39 side by side with deep material (The haunting, U571), and my opinion is that the benefits to the extension of the taller sub are exceedingly subtle and not worth the sacrifice in headroom. Unless your getting a pair, the 25-31 is a better choice and a little cheaper to boot.

6. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

I recieved my 25-31cs on Friday and I had the custom tune of 22hz. Lt me tell you it does not miss a beat.(with the exception of the TPM THX trailer (clacking when turned up too loud) Anyways This sub rocks and there is no question I made the right choice. so if your wondering I would go with the 22hz cause you get the best of both worlds with it. Size and extention.
    -B

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Brian. What size room do you have if I may ask? I have a fairly small room at 11 x 14 x 8 but it's a dedicated room so every inch is used with speaker placement in mind.
    ------------------

8. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

My room is small it is 13x10. I have the sub corner loaded and run by a 100 watt sony rack system. The power source will change today as my 170 watt sub plate amp will be delivered today! There is no problem with your room size. The 25(22)-31 will do fine!! what are you using to power it??
    -B

9. Susana Anderton

Tom,
    Are there any other port tuning options available for the 20-39 or 16-46?
    Thanks

10. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I have a Parts Express 150 watt plate amp I plan to use. It cost me $85.00. It has most, if not all of the control features that come with the PC SV units. It's on closeout so I may buy 2 for future upgrades.
    ------------------

11. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Tom,
    Are there any other port tuning options available for the 20-39 or 16-46?

12. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Tom,
    When you talk of re-tuning one of your subs, what exactly does this mean? When you re-tune a 25-31 to 22Hz, does that mean that the -3dB point is now 22 Hz? What does this sacrifice? Do you have any comparison performance charts between a standard tuned sub and a re-tuned one?
    Also, if you wouldn't mind dropping in on this thread that I started... I had a few questions about big subs with small speakers.
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page

13. Tom Vodhanel

The 3dB point would probably be a little lower...but I probably will never have the time to make extensive measurements of all the custom tuning point options. I can make accurate guesses on how changing the tuning point will effect extension and headroom based on software sims and personal experience though.
    TV

14. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Hi Martice,
    If you are interested, you can come out to my place and I will give you a demonstration of my dual 25-31 cs SVS's powered by the Samson S700 amplifier and EQ'd for flat bass via the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. My setup is located in a large open floor design environment and you could only expect quantum leaps in any smaller sized space. By the way, my 25-31 pair sports the 22 hz custom ports. I can honestly tell you that you would be very happy with the 25-31 setup, as a matter of fact when I first purchased my setup I was having second thoughts that maybe I should have purchased the 20-39 instead, but after dialing everything in I realized that this setup goes very deep indeed and has incredible punch. You can crank it to ungodly levels and never bottom out or hear any distortion whatsoever! You may purchase this setup with confidence! Come out and hear flat clean bass, shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions!
    Regards,
    Glenn

15. Susana Anderton

Tom,
    I'm trying to decide which SVS to get, but I don't understand much of this stuff.
    Let's say you tuned a 20-39cs to 17-18hz and also tuned a 16-46cs to 17-18hz. What would I gain from getting this particulary 16-46cs instead of this particular 20-39cs? I'm asking because I prefer that smaller size of the 25-31cs, but would like the low-end range of the 16-46cs (Hey, I LIKE pipe organs!)
    Thank you

16. Tom Vodhanel

Generally, the larger the enclosure is, the flatter the response curve will be in the very low freqs.
    So the 20-39 and 16-46(both tuned at say 18hz) might have a dB or 2 of response differences real low. For example, if you played a 10-100hz sweep through them....the response of the 20-39cs might be a dB or two lower at 18hz than the larger enclosure. Also...the larger the enclosure is,the less power you'll need to reach a given SPL.(larger=more efficient).
    A lot will also depend on the size of your room. If you're in a larger room, the 16-46(or two) would be the choice for true pipe organ reproduction. If you're in a smaller room...a retuned 20-39(or two)might be fine.
    TV

17. Susana Anderton

Two more stupid questions:
    What if I lay it on it's side?
    Can I paint the blasted thing?

18. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Susana,
    1. It should be fine on its side.
    2. Why would you want to? The sock is of very high quality.

19. Susana Anderton

I'm sure it's very elegant, but it's big and black, and it doesn't blend very well with my decor.

20. Tom Vodhanel

Yes, you can lay it on it's side.
    If you were sure you wanted to paint it, we could ship it sans fabric covering too.
    TV