Tuning freq. for diy subs?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JeffPhill, Dec 14, 2003.

1. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

Just curious what tuning freq. you diyers are using for your vented home enclosures. I am in the planning/design stage of my first diy sub project (using winisd). I will be using a PE 250 plate amp, and 1 or 2 JLAudio 10" subs. Thanks.

2. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

It depends on the speaker being used, and the application.

Many home theater users build large EBS designs, with tuning frequencies below 20hz.

However, some people dont really care about home theater, and listen to music at high output, so they may use a prosound driver and tune to 30-40hz.

It really just depends.

Do you have the theile small parameters for your JL woofers?

3. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

By default, winisd says the tuning freq. is 24.41HZ in a 2.383 cu ft enclosure with (1) 4.02"x21.05" round vent. JL Audio recommends a 1.25 cu ft encl. with (1)3"x14.7" round vent which works out to be about 31HZ on winisd. I was wondering if 24HZ was too low (I know I would sacrifice SPL for a lower tune). The woofers I have are the 10w0-4 models. They are in winisd's list of drivers, but if you like I can list the parameters. Thanks for your help.

4. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

Bump

5. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Jeff,

The JL suggestion is sort of the typcial car audio industry standard. Majority of bass in rap and rock is around the 30-40hz range. The majority of car audio buyers are those who listen to this kind of music and really want to shake things up. Tuning in the 30hz range with the smaller box give you a pretty good peak in that range with lot of extra boom at those frequencies. They you count on the big rise in cabin gain below 30hz to extend the output a little.

For home theater you typically don't want boom. Going with a bigger box and tuning lower will be a good option. I'd say going with 3cubic foot tuned to 22hz would work very well. Use a 4" diameter x 20.25" long port. It will give an F3 of about 21hz.

John

6. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

Thanks John, I was thinking that since these are car subs that the recommended enclosure dimensions were a compromise of some sort (size, cabin gain, etc...). I'll probably go with the larger box since room won't be of a concern.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

John's suggested enlcosure would work very well, but a 250W plate amp for a single one of these woofers is overkill. In the suggested enclosure, something like 100w to each woofer would be enough to run it to full excursion.