Tuner Reception?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ashford Little, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

With all the advances in receivers and preamps I was wondering why almost all these new "advanced" products have tuners that for the most part suck.
    I got in the car earlier tonight to make a quick run to Kroger and easily picked up an AM station which is close to 500 miles away. I wouldn't have a prayer doing this on my HT preamp.
    Thx
    RAL

2. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

In your house you also have some things to think about that severely limit your reception.
    First of all, most receiver antennae don't go outside the house, so you have the structure, it's wiring, iron and steel plates, pipes, and conduit. EMI and RFI from equipment, motors, Etc. I could go on and on.
    In a car, you have nothing(cept for girders and bridges and mountains), and to boot, you also gain a groundplane for the mobile antenna, making it more efficient.
    Sam

3. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

Certainly that's true. But it seems the reception capability has gone down in recent years. I realize that AM/FM is not HiFi, but it's still nice to be able to pick up a local station without much trouble. My component tuner (not in use currently) never had this problem.
    How much money could it cost to include a decent tuner?

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I don't know if one can really say the poorer performance of tuners is due to any one or two factors.
    I believe that makers have also learned over time that many listeners use radio as background material, not serious hifi. I have read that most radio listening is accomplished when users are in their vehicles, going to and from work.
    I subscribe to several stereo and a/v magazines. Virtually none review tuners anymore and the models that are mentioned are mostly afterthoughts. A quick look at the number of separate tuners available now is the smallest ever.
    Certainly production penny pinching has to be reasons for less than good performance. If you can make it cheaper, and get little or no complaints... (Why else would EVERY manufacturer put an RDS tuner in units sold in the UK and not give us RDS capability too? We have some RDS stations around the country. But most of us can't recieve the info because they woun't include the circuitry.)
    IMO, I don't look for things to improve... (Although the newer digital radio formats may help. It's way to early to tell though.)
    ------------------