1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tuner Problem on Toshiba 50H81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I've got a weird problem with my Toshiba 50H81's Tuner.
    • I've got the cable running into ANT 1
    • and from Output to the VCR's ANT IN
    • The VCR is also hooked up to Video 1
    Now, when I switch from ANT 1 to Video 1 for the VCR, the VCR's channels are snowy. I've been trying to find out what the problem was for a few days now.
    I just figured that if I switch to ANT 2 (*click*) and then switch directly to Video 1, my VCR's channels are fine. But if I go back to ANT 1 (*click*) and then to Video 1 again, the VCR's channels are snowy again.
    It seems that the only way for the VCR to receive a clear signal is to switch to ANT 2 before going to Video 1.
    What can I do about this?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I don't know, but I understand because I have a TW40F80, and gave up trying to figure it out. I think it recommended a CATV box to be plugged into the 'f" output. I just got a splitter and 'gave the set the bird'.
    I can't wait to hear the way it really works!
    Glenn

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Cameron,
    I just answered you at the Spot but essentially the Output is not a split, it's a pass through. What do you have connected to Ant2?
    I have the 50H81 and IMO if you want full VCR, TV and POP functionality you need a 3-way splitter. Split the signal from the wall and send to VCR, Ant1 and Ant2. This means they all have independant signals and you can get back to watching TV/Movies. I got an RS gold series 4-way splitter as I also have a digital cable box that needed it's own feed to. A poor effort by Toshiba indeed. My old Panny had a split and not an output but I don't know about the other brands. You would think a 2.5K TV wouldn't need an $18 fix.
    BTW the other thing to watch out for is that the output doesn't send a signal if the TV is powered off. So your VCR won't record anything.
    [Edited last by Andrew Beacom on September 27, 2001 at 11:13 AM]

4. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Thanks Andrew. That's crazy on Toshiba's part!
    I like your idea, I'll probably end up doing just that. But I also have an analog cable box that I want to plug to ANT 2. I rarely use it, but I would also like to have the ability to record from that as well.
    Getting more spitters and cables is no problem. I just need to think about how to hook everything up.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!