Tuner Problem on Toshiba 50H81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I've got a weird problem with my Toshiba 50H81's Tuner.
    • I've got the cable running into ANT 1
    • and from Output to the VCR's ANT IN
    • The VCR is also hooked up to Video 1
    Now, when I switch from ANT 1 to Video 1 for the VCR, the VCR's channels are snowy. I've been trying to find out what the problem was for a few days now.
    I just figured that if I switch to ANT 2 (*click*) and then switch directly to Video 1, my VCR's channels are fine. But if I go back to ANT 1 (*click*) and then to Video 1 again, the VCR's channels are snowy again.
    It seems that the only way for the VCR to receive a clear signal is to switch to ANT 2 before going to Video 1.
    What can I do about this?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I don't know, but I understand because I have a TW40F80, and gave up trying to figure it out. I think it recommended a CATV box to be plugged into the 'f" output. I just got a splitter and 'gave the set the bird'.
    I can't wait to hear the way it really works!
    Glenn

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Cameron,
    I just answered you at the Spot but essentially the Output is not a split, it's a pass through. What do you have connected to Ant2?
    I have the 50H81 and IMO if you want full VCR, TV and POP functionality you need a 3-way splitter. Split the signal from the wall and send to VCR, Ant1 and Ant2. This means they all have independant signals and you can get back to watching TV/Movies. I got an RS gold series 4-way splitter as I also have a digital cable box that needed it's own feed to. A poor effort by Toshiba indeed. My old Panny had a split and not an output but I don't know about the other brands. You would think a 2.5K TV wouldn't need an $18 fix.
    BTW the other thing to watch out for is that the output doesn't send a signal if the TV is powered off. So your VCR won't record anything.
    [Edited last by Andrew Beacom on September 27, 2001 at 11:13 AM]

4. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Thanks Andrew. That's crazy on Toshiba's part!
    I like your idea, I'll probably end up doing just that. But I also have an analog cable box that I want to plug to ANT 2. I rarely use it, but I would also like to have the ability to record from that as well.
    Getting more spitters and cables is no problem. I just need to think about how to hook everything up.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!