1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tumult ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I was just curious how this beast might perform in a 270 liter sono tuned to 17hz when it becomes available?

2. when (though it feels like if) the tumult comes out, it should be fine. you do get a 2db bump centered around 20hz, but that may be prefered.
    NOTE: WITH room gain, you may have an overabundance of low end that you may need to EQ out for a flatter responce.
    ..but again, for strict HT, this may be perfectly fine [​IMG]

3. Joe Tilley

Thanks for the response Anthony. I"m looking to possibly replace my Dayton DVC with something that will take alittle more abuse or dish out some more.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I can't remember what you used for a port? With the amount of air a Tumult can move this could become a problem. I think a flared 6" would be the minimum.

5. Joe, have you considered the AV-15?

It should do well for you in that encosure....port compression...well that is an issue we can deal with once we know your port diam. & # info.

6. Joe Tilley

Dustin, I used a 6" by 25" port. I don't know if you can really consider it flared as I only used a 3/4" round-over to put a small radiused edge on it. I'm thinking about trying to make a new port for it with a better flar to it. My wife has a plastic flower pot that I think would work out pretty nice as it starts just under 6" & stops at 7& 3/4". It has a nice rounded flair to it, & made out of some pretty heavy plastic, at about three bucks each it couldn't hurt to give it a try. The only reason I haven't tried it out yet is that right now I don't get any port noise at all that I've noticed.

Anthony, I have never heard of the AV-15. Who makes it & how would it compare to the Dayton?

7. Joe Tilley

Thanks Anthony, I didn't even see that one until you pointed it out. My only trouble now is I don't quite understand all the T/S parameters. I know the basics of it but I don't understand them totaly. For example Q,Qms,Qts,Qes I know what they are but don't quite understand what is good or bad. Now VD,VAS,& Fs I think I have a good grasp on but I'm still not sure how to put all the numbers together.
    I have done several searches on T/S parameters to try to learn more on it but all I can find is basic descriptions of what is what, When what I need to figure out is how what numbers have an effect on the driver or how the numbers come into play in different enclosures. I may be looking right at the answers & just haven't figured it out yet as I'm slow to pick up on things like this sometimes:b
    If you know of any good web pages that get into detail on this Please point me in that direction.

I must admit I feel like an idiot when it comes to some of this stuff, I'm just not too great when it comes to numbers. But now if you wont something built, drawn out, a car finder hammered from a flat piece of steel, or anything like that I can hang with the best of them out there as that just runs in my family but other than that it takes me a couple of good beatings to take it all in.

8. David_Lew

David_Lew Stunt Coordinator

Is there any other site besides www.acoustic-visions.com to see this at? The website crashes my browser everytime I go to it =(

9. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

10. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

The site may experience a little downtime tonight. I'm planning on finally doing the big update to the page. If all goes well it should just be a matter of uploading the whole new site by FTP and it should work right away. Keeping my fingers crossed.

John

11. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

And I have no idea why my site crashes your browser either [​IMG] Damn, I love technology but curse it at the same time [​IMG]

12. Joe Tilley

Can anyone offer an opinion on this? I have a buddy that may buy my old sono along with my current Dayton DVC & PE amp so, I have been thinking about going with the Stryke AV15 & Adire HS500 plate amp in my current 270liter sono. I'm looking for something that will outperform what I have now & they both look pretty tempting to me. I know the amp may be over kill for the AV15 but with the way I like to play around I think it would be better if I went bigger now on the power end of the deal.
    Thanks for any help...

13. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Well, thats a little larger than the 250L EBS alignment for the AV15 but it can still work although you will have a slight hump around 20Hz. With the HS500 you have the parametric EQ built into it so you can eq it out if you find the low end a bit too powerful.

Another option would be 2 AV15's in the same sonotube if you have the room on each endcap for ports large enough to accomodate the 15" driver. Just a thought.

14. Joe Tilley

Thanks for the reply Kyle. Doing duel AV15's dose sound tempting but the way I built this one there is a brace in the middle of the tube for the port & its all pressed in & glued pretty good so that would be out. I'm pretty much looking to drop in a new sub without really changing anything on the sono but, I could cut it down a little to get to the 250 liters without any trouble. Would the extra 20 liters make that much of a difference other than the 20hz hump you mentioned? I would just like to have something that will put out a little more than my current Dayton & PE Amp set up.

15. John E Janowitz

Hi Joe,
    I modeled the AV15 in your 270L enclosure. This looks very good. I did a graph here for you:
    [​IMG]
    F3 of 16.36Hz
    Max acoustic output of 115.4dB down to 16Hz according to bassbox. Really not much of a bump. It just flattens out a little down low.
    John

16. Looks like a hump at 80hz, but room gain should flatten that out below and will probably result in a hump at the plateau at

17. Joe Tilley

Thanks for the help guys looks like I will be taking the dive. Now all I need to do is wate for the AV15 to come available & get my buddie set up with my old stuff[​IMG]
    I'll keep everyone posted on how it works out when it all happens.

18. John E Janowitz

Anthony,

It really depends on the room gain whether you'll get a bump, or a nice summed flat response. In my room I actually get a nice rise starting about 80Hz, going up 6dB or so and then below 50Hz it gets rather flat with the exception of another rise below 25Hz.

It all has to do with dimensions of the room, placements, openings in the room, etc. Hard to really predict without measuring or simulating the actual room

John