What's new

Tumult vs Titanic? (1 Viewer)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

Dan you tease! We want details!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Seth,
It seems to me, by the way they phrase it, that both of the drivers added together have 4". They appear to be the 13w7 subs. An overhung motor with 4" p-p xmax, not likely.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I'm not so sure about that Graham. The 13.5W7 has 2.5" of travel, and they claim these are new drivers.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Supposedly, those are a per-driver rating. The movies on the Gotham and Fathom site show a computer-simulated excursion video with the voice over explaining how the drivers "shift gears" and put out a 4" peak-to-peak excursion. Then the computer-simulated excursion video shows the driver going from 2mm of excursion to 4 mm of excursion. That's only 50.8mm one way. I'm sure XBL^2 motors can outpace that. The question is, how can suspension technology change to accomodate the huge excursions necessary?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder because IMO thick pulpy paper cones with quality foam surrounds look better. The Tumult looks like it means business.

How many proffessional touring rigs use an aluminum cone?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Dan:

Not trying to pin you down and things take time, but when down the road might we see/hear about something of the new driver/s???

Anything is better than nothing in the news (to be) department.

Just a little tiny peek maybe, of info on any woof at the drawing board & or building/testing stage.. ;)

Regards
Geoff ¥

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yupper Kyle:

I know, but never hurts to try and it usually never works!
Lucky you, cause I know you know at least a tiny bit more than the rest of us and rightly so...:D
I digres

Like pulling teeth at the denist, he just ain't gona go their...

CES, the wait is rather short, so I'll live...;)

Cheers
Geoff ¥

Bruce Gavin

Auditioning
What has been done to advance the art regarding foam surrounds? I notice the Adire drivers are the foam type... scary for me. After having to repair several foam JBL drivers and PRs, I'm much more inclined toward Santoprene.

Just curious, no flame.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
How old were the JBL's that you had problems with? The older foam surrounds did have problems, but the newest generation of foam surrounds are very reliable. You'll notice most of the new, high-excursion drivers use foam surrounds because they actually work better than the Santoprene.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Don't want to get into a big debate here and don't want to jump into someone else's thread, but since the HE15 was mentioned, I thought I'd make a couple comments. The new HE15 will be nothing like that old HE15. We looked at some old JBL information, Adire's XBL, Lambda's copper faraday, Aura's NRT motor and a few other things and came up with a new motor design that combines the benefits of all of them. You get a flat BL curve, low distortion, low inductance, huge Xmax, and a shielded driver.

There are two differnt motor designs at 2 varying price points, depending on which you want. One is our new linear BL motor that so far doesn't have any fancy name. The motor can be scaled to virtually any size. The one for the HE15 gives43mm one way at 70% of the rest BL value. Up to 38mm one way it is within 3% of it's rest value. I could make it do more, but it gets past the point of diminishing returns. The linear BL motor is also fully shielded so there is no worry about placing it near a TV, or in a corner with a computer behind the wall in the next room. Inductance is also very low, resulting in low distortion and no peak in respone like the old HE15.

The suspension is also new. It will use a larger M-roll surround that we are currently tooling and dual 10" spiders. Suspension travel will be greater than 45mm one way. The M-Roll proves to be much more linear than a regular large half roll, or the taller profile surrounds that are becoming popular. The cone is an aluminum honeycomb with a carbon fiber front and paper back. The frame is the deep style that was used on the former HE15. To make things more fun there will be an 18" as well.

I don't want to get into comparisons between the HE15 and Tumult because I always get asked not to do that on the forum. Just wanted to let everyone know that the HE15 is not anything like it was in the past.

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
One quick comment on foams. The old foams were polyesther and the new foams are polyether. Two completely different materials. The old foams do rot and they are easily damaged by chemicals. Take an old one and wipe on a little bit of solvent and it will melt and shrivel up, then be hard when it dries. The newer foams aren't affected by milder solvents and have much better resistance to weather, etc.

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Mike,

I have a price range in mind. The HE15 will be very competitive price wise with the other high excursion drivers on the market. The HE18 obviously a little more, but don't want to talk about my drivers in this thread here. The original thread was about the Tumult vs Titanic. If you wanted to start a new thread talking about the HE15 I'd be glad to post info there.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks