What's new

tumult subwoofer questions (1 Viewer)

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently an impressed owner of a tempest in a ported sonotube configuration. (Adire alignment). I'm currently in the process of constructing a dedicated home theater room and am considering the upgrade of the tumult driver. Any present or past owners of this beast that may provide advice in the design of enclosure,ported or non, radiator or non would be of great benefit to me right now. I will be mating it with a 1000 watt amplifier of true performance in a room with approximate dimensions of 7'6'h X 12'5" w X close to 24' long. Please respond with advise on what design you've incorporated with the driver/ driver with radiators. Question...What does a radiator actually do? Is a sonotube configuration feesible with this driver or is a box type enclosure of more benefit? Thanks. Dan.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
I had the pleasure of hearing Craig Woodhall's tumult box... it was a 24" cube (outside) made from 1.5" mdf. Used dual 18" stryke PR's, but at the lighter weight (1600grams?)... he has the extra weights to take it to 2500grams but never installed them.

I would characterize it as very tight, effortless, and obviously very potent. Made a believer out of me as far as this particular alignment goes.

There's also this thread: add http colon slash slash w w w dot at the beginning to make the url work.

hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=558589&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

which is a near-600 post long thread about a comparison between SVS, HSU, and Denali subs... Denali's are a retail version of the tumult, dual 18inch PRs and a Keiga amp in some very nice woodwork by Kyle Richardson... The Denali certainly held it's own in some very tough company.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
You wont find many that have built a ported enclosure for the Tumult simply because its rather difficult to port this driver. In order to get enough port area to eliminate port noise the port ends up being quite a bit longer than the actual enclosure will allow and most people don't want to build a slot port and "wrap" it around the inside walls of the enclosure.
PR designs are quite a bit more popular as David mentioned as well as sealed designs. If you go with PR's then you'll need a pair of 18's or about 4 15's in about 5 cu ft. If you go sealed then around 2.2 cu ft is popular.

Sonotubes aren't really useful for this driver unless you go with a sealed configuration because the PR's have to be mounted vertically and the port issue again.

PR's act much like ports and are used mainly in situations like this when ports aren't very feasible. The frequency response of a ported design and a PR design are very, very similar.

Richard_M

Second Unit
I am getting a ported Tumult built at the moment, as Kyle has said the ports are long.

The unit should be ready in a week or so, then if you are interested I will post some photos!

DanWiggins

Second Unit
If it were me (I have a bit of experience with the Tumult), and had ~1000W of power to play with, I'd go with 5 cubic feet and tune to 18 Hz with 35 square inches of vent (say, 17.5" by 2") that was 51" long. That should be a bit fun...:)

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like I have some things to consider before the construction phase takes place. Thanks for the replys and yes, Richard, I would be interested to see some photos of your project with the Tumult. I guess another question in relation to the PR's would be what difference would there be with the heavier weighted ones vs the lighter weighted? How much $ do those go for? Oh yes, almost forgot...is the tumult a forward firing or down firing driver? Thanks.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
Dan Wiggins, in this thread, post# 719 on page 24, suggests another wrapped slot port design...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&pagenumber=24

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between these slightly differences are between these designs... sizes range from about 3-5 cubic feet, with the tuning still around 18 hz. I've don't recall actually reading a review by anyone who built a ported tumult... they all seem to either be PR'd or sealed.

David

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
ahhh, Dan beat me to the ported answer :) Take his advice to heart though since I think he'd know best :)

Either way works fine.

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all that responded. Your input is very valuable. All I have to do now is make a good impression upon the wife so I can go ahead with my plans. I will continue to post more questions if they happen to come up in the future. ;)

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks Kyle for posting the link.

Cam I am so happy with the Tumult. It is performing exceptionally well for both Music & HT. Has about 70+ hours up now, and I have been told it will take a good 200+ to properly bed down. I am a bit of a Bass nut where music is concerned, and I have always strived to get bass guitars, and Dbl Bass's to sound as natural as they can, I have a close friend that plays bass in a band, because I hear them live on a fairly regular basis, I strive to reproduce this at home.

I guess if there was one bitch it would be the amp, the cabinet is tuned to 15Hz, and the amp has a 14Hz subsonic filter built into it, Hypex have 3x basic settings with the change of resistors 24Hz,20Hz,&14Hz. This is only a physiological problem as I can't hear much below 25Hz anyway. The plus side is the amp is in a sealed chamber, so I can always disconnect it and use a PA amp.

Other than that I have no regrets with the Tumult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks