What's new

Tumult Subs, Any Good? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Aright guys, I know all caps posts are really annoying, but after the second reply in all caps, I think it went a little far. He's pissed right now, and probably didn't mean anything by all caps posts, so lets' help him and make him feel welcome.

Joseph, Like someone said before, do a search, there aren't many people that have gotten their tumults as yet, but the ones that have, have already posted, thus a search is best.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Joseph,

I have had dual sealed SV-10's, a ported BPD1503, a dual sealed BPD1503, and a pair of XBL2 sealed 12's. I have also demo'ed a number a subs (both small, and monolyths). No I have not demoed the Tumult, but I have demoed some comperable drivers.

Sure specs don't tell the whole truth, but I do have direct experience with various motor topologies and XBL2 is so far, far superior. What specs do say is "about" what the responce is, and also how much theoretical output a driver can have. The tumult has substantually more Vd than any of the SVS drivers. this means that it has the ability to play louder than the SVS (without a question IMHO). My experience with XBL says it will play far cleaner in the lower frequencies. Simulation data is lacking to say what will play lower, but I would put my money on the tumult.

I think the above information and experience is enough to make an educated opinion. Hope you think so.

maybe you will find this a little more usefull. Do recall that my original post (while it poked fun at the all caps) was actually informative.

how do you know a tumult sub will be comparable to an SVS ultra
and I don't think they will be comparable. I think a PR tumult will "stomp" an SVS ultra.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
A$$HOOLES...
Is that Spanish?
No it's French ;) ;) ;)
__________________________________________________ ________

Joseph_P

You might want to look at some of the homepages/signatures of the people posting in this DIY forum. You will find that the many of the people posting here have considerable knowledge and expertise with regard to what/how/why a driver will perform.

The exception to this statement is of course Anthony_G. He has no experience in sub building at all. As a matter of fact his dual BP-1503 tube sub had a Bose Acoustimass module hidden inside. And all those custom spec subwoofers he had Destiji build were nonworking prototypes......

Hi Gomer :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
yes Anthony, you are right your initial post did include some usable info thank you for that and any subsequent help you may be able to offer. i am serious about building a sub, but i do not want to build one that won't sound good
and be able to deliver 16-25 hz bass that my current 16-46 cs+ sub already does so effortlessly. i know someone may ask
"why not just buy another 16-46cs+ if you like them so much"
that is not entirely out of the question as yet.i'm just intrigued by the idea of building a sub myself and getting the enjoyment one must feel knowing that this great sounding
subwoofer that they now have came from their hard work and effort. so if i'm gonna put all this hard work and effort into a sub i would like to have some idea i'm building a
decent performing beast. i'd like to use a tumult sub.
maybe i'm doing something wrong but any search i do of tumult on this forum turns up info that's about as useful as
snot on a doorknob:D . no actual reviews of diy subs
using the tumult driver. anyone know what i should be typing in the search to find some results of completed subs?
again, thanx in advance for any helpful info you can provide.
:)

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
oh one more question, what are some comparable drivers to the tumult? maybe there are some options i can consider.

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I think in that category the Stryke AV15 stands up decently, and the HE15 is probably the only real contender I've actually run across in that class. I've heard of an "uber-15", but haven't seen one yet. :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Very few have the Tumult, so you won't find many reviews. Most data is benchmarked. The 1503 was a superdeal and still is (but requires parametric EQing for the inductance hump). BPD went out of business and it can only be purchased through www.audioliquidators.com. the Tumult is better than the 1503 though.

The AV15 is another budget option, but it doesn't have XBL2 or the same Vd. As mentioned, there is also the HE15 (UE15 get released?) Some real value's right now are the LE series at www.lambdacoustics.com (just because of a closeout).

If a tumult is close to 3 tempests (in the linear regime), then I don't doubt that the tumult is at least like 2 ultras (in terms of output).

The tumult will most likely (highly confindent) play cleaner (distortion levels), louder and probably as low (depends on tunning..maybe lower) than 2 CS+'s. the real question is, would you have use for such a sub? you would want a good amp (atleast the HS500 plate amp, if not a pro-amp), maybe some EQ/XO's depending on alignment, and and maybe some PR's...depending on alignment.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Joseph,
Didn't mean to be a dick, just having a little fun.
:D

I've seen/used lots of drivers. If the Tumult is built to spec (no reason to suspect otherwise), it will be what everyone says it will.
Having said that, after reading this thread and your concerns, I would recommend you get a second SVS and not look back. Lots of reviews to read, guaranteed performance, very reassuring.

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
can a tumult box sub with 2 18" pr's be built for 1000.00
bux? that is including the price of the drivers.i have the samson 1000 amp and am also looking at a qsc
rmx 2450 amp. would the samson suffice?.

A

Anthony_Gomez

SVS has a relatively high resale values, so Jacks recommendation on the SVS might be good. If it doesn't work, you can always build a tumult later and sell the CS+'s

below is an "off the top of my head" estimate:
Tumult=$500 (shipped)
PR's=$245 (shipped)
2sheets MDF=$50
1sheet veneer=$70
Glue=$30
Binding posts=$10
Tnuts=$12
total=$917

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmmmmmm. 917.00 bux. cheaper than an ultra.
really makes me want to try it.
what size box to tune it to 18-20 hz?
size is not a problem.
Anthony, thank you for the info.
Jack and all others, no harm done i'm over it.
i'm a bit embarrassed by my snide remarks,
not called for even if it was a crappy Monday.
SORRY to all.:)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Thats what I would do if I had the amp already. And you do! Go build yourself the PR'd Tumult and tell us how it is.

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've got dual Tumult drivers showing up tomorrow!!!! So hopefully I'll be able to give my impressions by the weekend. They'll be in 18" sealed cubes, but I think they'll hold their own with many ported enclosures out there.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Never owned a Tequla before. If it is from 1912, I might need to use navel Jelly on it. I would hate to get lockjaw from rusty nuts and bolts.

A tulumunt would probably be fine in a car....though I don't know why you would want a no legged animal with rabies drooling in the car.

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator

It would be horrible. With two on a few thousand watts you'd have to replace your cracked windows once a week.

Seriously though, it would be great sealed compared to most car subs. Even sealed it would still have high output and extend lower. The Tumult is the newer home theater version of the Brahma, which is generally regarded as one of the top three car audio subs available.

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad there are no hard feelings there. Obviously these guys not only know their stuff, they can dish it out in easily understood language that you can (99 times out of 100) take to the bank. I've seen them answer the same question to newbies over and over and over again. I never thanked them for helping me build one kick-ass sub. But, quite frankly, they would probably acknowledge my success, hand out a high-five and get right back to answering the same questions that I, you, and 87 other people asked before. I teach special ed and I marvel at their patience every time I'm on the board. Thanks again for forgiving them for having their fun. They really do deserve it now and again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks