Tumult Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David AG, Oct 23, 2002.

1. David AG

David AG Auditioning

Hi, I'm a newbie trying to decide what kind of setup I should go with for the Tumult. I just bought a QSC DCA 1622 which will provide 1,600 watts at 4 ohms. But now I'm trying to decide whether to go with a sealed box with a LT or a box with two of the Stryke Audio 18" PRs for a home theater/music sub. Although mostly for home theater.

One thing that will help me decide is whether or not I can get a LT. I will need a complete list of the parts that I'll need to build it, unless someone knows where to get one preassembled for less than $200. Anyway if I go this route, I'd probably set it up so it's around -3db at 20 hz and a Qtc of around .6. Now since I am a newbie I don't have a complete grasp for how it works. Could I go with a bigger enclosure on purpose so I won't need to waste as much power boosting the lower frequencies to the level I want them? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to know.

If I go with PRs then I'm considering a 4 ft^3 box tuned to 16 hz. I've already graphed it and it looks good to me. Now this is where I need the most help since I have no basis for comparison. This will be my first system. What kind of differences can I expect between these two enclosures? I'm assuming the PRs would be louder but I was wondering by about how much and whether the LT sealed box will be loud enough for me in an average size room? I do like deep, loud, clean bass. Also would the LT sealed box sound better? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

3. David AG

David AG Auditioning

Cool thanks a lot. You da man!