What's new

Tumult: Rubber gasket? (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
So my Tumult has what appears to be a rubber gasket around the driver. Was that there only for shipping, or should it be used when it's mounted? It seems like it would get in the way of the screws or mounting hardware.

Speaking of mounting hardware... What should I use to mount it? I've used small bolts with wingnuts (with the nuts on the inside of the box) on previous subwoofers. I'm not sure if they'll be up to the task of holding up a 50+lb driver. Any tips?

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I used the rubber gasket for mounting my Tumult. The aluminum frame and the exposed surround under the gasket are not as attractive, IMO, when mounted without the gasket. The gasket also appears to seal the driver well. The gasket does stretch to allow screws larger than the gasket hole. As long as you are reasonable in your screw selection, the gasket should flex back into shape. I used 8-32 machine screws and T-nuts on my Tumult.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I used 10-32 cap head screws and threaded inserts to mount my Tumult. Works perfectly and I don't have to ever worry about T-nut tear out ever again.

Oh yeah, and I used the gasket. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
If I was you guys I would use nothin less than Mill Spec
Pre Stressed Titanium fastners.. Anything else could be
totally catastrophic! :D

A

Anthony_Gomez

10-32 have always served me well with any of my subs (read: heavy fother muchers!)...horizontal and vertical.

...but...I have since stopped using metal fasteners. I now use high vacuum Epoxy by Loctite. If it can let our pump line reach 10^-4torr (maybe lower, but haven't tried yet), then that is air tight enough for me :D;)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Chestnuts ARRR!!! bulging pecks ARRRR!!! I AM ARNOLD!!!! NOTHING IS STRONGER!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks