What's new

Tumult rubber gasket enough? (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

Just to be sure... According to you, is the Tumult gasket is enough for making a well sealed enclosure? This may be a dumb question but Im an air leak freak, I seal all what I can see :D I think that it is enough... but I wonder if any other use something else for sealing the woofer to the enclosure. To me, this is not like when you use a Shiva or Tempest woofer, when they dont have any rubber gasket.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Personally I throw away those cosmetic gaskets and use closed cell weather stripping foam tape (neoprene if available) for the best seal.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Claude,
I'll second Thomas' advice. I'm building a Tumult sealed box myself, and the gasket material on the woofer is fairly hard. (High Durometer)

While it may work just fine, why have to find out the hard way?

Even if you choose to use the supplied gasket for appearance's sake, I'd use an additional neoprene gasket on the box. You can buy it in 1/2" widths with adhesive backing on one side.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm ok... I wonder what would Dan Wiggins say about my question. Any people use only the Tumult gasket? Looks like Im gonna be some neoprene like you did, just to be sure ;)

A

Anthony_Gomez

I am using the tumult gasket AND the 18PR rubber gaskets. I don't notice any leak at all. I guess part of the key is to have a smooth/sealed surface to set the gasket against.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Tony on this one. I have built 3 Tumults as well as several other subs using gaskets such as this and have had zero problems with air leaks.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Cool! ;) So why not trying to not apply any other gasket for the first time! The sub is finished, well almost, and I'll see if there will be any air leaks when I will test it. Thank you guys for your suggestions and comments, very appreciated!

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Brian for weighing in on this. Actual experience always counts more than mental posturing on my part.

BTW, I posted some info on the Behringer 2500 in another thread. I'll bring home some test equipment over Christmas break to run it through its paces.

Tunult box is almost ready for paint. Cant wait!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

Yes, I saw your info. on the Behringer amp. Looks quite nice for the money. Maybe you could also give us some feedback on the loudness of the fan both during quiet passages as well as when you're running full tilt. I know you'll be using it in a separate equipment room but I'm sure others would be very interested in this info as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks