Tumult reviews with measured performance?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeffrey Stanton, May 20, 2003.

1. Jeffrey Stanton

Jeffrey Stanton Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody have any idea where I can get some "real-world" numbers for "in-use" Tumult performance? I've seen reviews pretty much saying "sounds great, low distortion" but that's about it, as of yet have seen no real numbers for it's output.

Does anybody know where I can get some figures on what a sub with this driver actually does? Say, 70-80 Hz down to 10-20 Hz or so?

There's quite a bit of interest over at the Klipsch Forum about this but nobody's seen squat yet...

Thanks,

J Stanton

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Nothing yet that I know of. Takes a while to see that kind of thing in the DIY world, if ever. There's a new thread started every week about this, so something may pop up eventually.

3. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I've almost got my Tumult enclosure finished. I now need to pick up an amp capable of driving the beast. I would prefer one with auto power on when it receives a signal. Kinda hard to find a 1,000 watt amp with this feature. I was hoping to use a Buttkicker amp, but haven't been able to find anyone running it for sub use.

Hopefully in the next three weeks I will have some numbers.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The new Keiga plate amps have this feature and are 1000 watts. Of course if you are using an outboard amp I'm not sure what models would have that feature.

5. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Kyle

I checked out the Keiga on your site. Am I correct in thinking that this thing is sealed. Would I need a subenclosure in my enclosure for this amp? When I mean sealed, I mean really sealed. Will this amp withstand the rigors of being mounted on/in a Tumult enclosure?

6. Dennis XYZ

Dennis XYZ Stunt Coordinator

7. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

My Carver PX 850 has a signal sensing turn on feature. It's even adjustable!

Pete

8. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Greg,
    The entire back of the amp is covered by a rigid plastic housing. This housing is one complete piece and the only way that it could leak is through the cables leading out the back which are siliconed in place with a strain relief bushing as well.

Dennis,
    This is a very stout amplifier and I would not feel afraid about mounting it on the back of a well built enclosure.

9. Kyle, send me one and I will test it out for you. I'll hook it up to the vacuum system here to see how air tight it is. Just to be fair, I'll use the calibrated baratrons to measure absolute pressure [​IMG]

10. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Anthony

I ordered the Keiga last night. I'll find out how well its sealed soon. It sounds as though its sealed pretty well.