Tumult & PR's on same baffle

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brad Dixon, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

I gave my father the plans I had drawn up for the dual PR'd Tumult box. That's when he showed me a sketch and asked what I thought. It looks kinda like one of the B&W speakers, rounded or oval back.

If you think of an oval or egg shape with one end cut off you should get the picture. This thing would be like 5 feet tall but I think it would look really nice.

What concerns me though is having both PR's & the Tumult mounted on the front baffle. It seems everything I've found suggests it would be best to have them on opposing sides. Is that just a suggestion or with that much mass is it not a good idea to have all three on the front baffle?

My father said he can get wiggle board(some kinda bendable board). It's like 3/8" and we'd have to use a couple layers of course. With a properly built skeleton he thought it would be strong enough due to the shape.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Sounds interesting but the reason we typically put the PR's on opposite sides from each other is to cancel out the vibrations they cause and with all three on the one face it wouldn't be ideal...

3. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

Thanks,
    That's all I needed to know.

Brad

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The design sounds great - if you were making a sealed cabinet without passive radiators or with ports.

Don't throw away your father's sketches, yet. There might be some use for them in a future project. A pair of nice 8" drivers in a ported cabinet with the design your father came up with might make and ideal subwoofer for the bedroom system. [​IMG]

5. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Brad,

Not sure what PR's your using, but they will no doubt have a lot of mass on them to get the tuning you need. Having the PR's both on the same side will shake the enclosure a lot. I've seen 160lb enclosures move around a room. The best option is to put the on opposing sides to cancel the forces on the cabinet and keep it still.

John