Tumult power rating - How much is safe

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Richard_M, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

I have checked Adire's site and it says the Tumult can handle 1600Watts, and I think the Impedance with both voice coils in series 3.2Ohms.

Currently I have a ported Tumult being driven by 700+ watts, trouble is it has a subsonic filter at 14Hz, although the system is working extremely well, I can get a Crown K1 for a good price, but was a little concerned about powering the Tumult with it as the Crown is rated at 1500Watts bridge mode into 4Ohms, therefore it may produce more into 3.2Ohms. I guess these are probably nominal ratings.

I also realise that this would only be a problem at high listening levels which I probably would never listen too, but one just never knows...

Therefore does anyone foresee any problems with driving a ported Tumult with a K1?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Richard,

The 3.2 ohms rating is DC resistance. The driver would still be considered a 4 ohm nominal rating with both VC's in series. So don't worry about that so much.

The 1500W should be fine as long as you don't really push things. I fried my first Tumult with 2500W from my K2 but also had an LT circuit in the system which greatly boosted the output down low. One thing to note is that the Tumult will not give you any audible warning via distortion, which would normally cue you to turn the volume down. I heard absolutely no distortion as I turned up the volume until I heard clank, clank, clank from one of the VC's.

3. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Thanks Brian...

I do not listen at extreme levels, I am lucky if I ever get close to ref level, but I will take your warning on board.

My main objective was to shift the subsonic filter, from the current 14Hz to the Crowns 8Hz, purely for the ability to reproduce the sound tracks that go down that far, although I would never hear them I think it is more the fact that of being able to reproduce them.